It was on this day, 133 years ago that Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi’s first act of civil disobedience happened in South Africa.
- Speaking of disobedience of another kind, the violence in Mathura courtesy the Netaji cult may be over but the holy souls of Vrindavan are not letting the police cremate their bodies. A report in the Tribune today also has the BJP alleging that the ammunition used in the episode by the cult’s members was that of the UP police. And all is not well for the ruling Samajwadi Party in the state with Dadri seemingly simmering again.
- And staying with Uttar Pradesh in news that will have Mark Zuckerberg grinning, four tobacco vendors outside a school in Sector 34, Noida, were challaned after a user complained on FB and tagged the state Tobacco Control Board.
- But the Congress isn’t smiling aside from Rahul Gandhi who appears permanently chuffed. There are those among the party like Jairam Ramesh and Digvijay Singh pushing him into the President’s chair, and then those who have quit. Mumbai strongman Gurdas Kamat and Chhatisgarh’s Ajit Jogi are in the latter list.
- The Deccan Chronicle likes scaring people like me based in the capital. “Dawood Ibrahim plotting to blast Delhi” is just the headline you like early morning.
- And speaking of early morning, the Rajasthan government has a novel idea for its teachers as a pre-breakfast routing at 0500 hours. The district education department in the CM’s home town has asked govt teachers to help with curbing open defecation and click pictures of those in violation. We are not making this up: This will be one dirty Whatsapp group
And in other news from ze most powerful country in the world, the US of A has a woman being the Presidential nominee from a major political party for the first time. This is Hilary Clinton, the other is Donald Drumpf.