What Are The Categories Being Traced?
- Services—PDS, mid-day meals, farmer loans and crop insurance, seed certification.
- Organic products and food items
- Precious metals
- Drugs and chemicals
- Toys & furniture
Why Is Product Traceability Becoming Important?
- EU laws require food to be traced back to the farm; India has also a planned law on food safety that includes the ability to trace where a food item was manufactured
- Growing consumer awareness, particularly in the developed world, about the origin of food as well as the ills of global warming, carbon footprints and child labour
- It's estimated that in five years, 15-30 per cent of all products in India will be traceable