Donation High Table
- Rs 6 crore: Sterlite to Congress
- Over Rs 1.6 crore: Sesa Goa (Vedanta) to Congress, BJP
- Rs 25 lakh to BJP from Honda Siel Cars India Ltd; Rs 5 lakh from Honda Siel Power Products Ltd (BJP claims it returned the money in 2012 as it’s a ‘foreign’ company)
- Rs 5 lakh: Hyatt Regency to Cong
- ‘NRI’ donations worth crores to Aam Aadmi Party
It’s something that unfailingly raises the spectre of the ‘foreign hand’. Now, foreign funding is being debated hotly again. This time around, it’s our political parties that find themselves in the crosshairs. Two PILs at the Delhi High Court have questioned donations made by ‘foreign’ entities to leading political parties, including the Congress, the BJP and the Aam Aadmi Party. They claim these donations contravene the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act 2010 and its earlier 1976 version, which both prohibit funding of political parties from a ‘foreign source’.