Who Is Behind Pokemon GO
- Pokémon is the brain child of Japanese game designer Satoshi Tajiri, who in 1990 worked to combine his childhood hobby of insect collecting and being out in ‘nature’ with his love for video games.
- The first Pokémon game was launched in 1996 with the help of Nintendo and designer Ken Sugimori on Game Boy. As the games evolved, so did the anime and the card game which updated them accordingly.
- Pokemon GO was launched by Niantic, a San Fancisco based Augmented-Reality startup, which was incubated inside Google before it was spun out last October.
- John Hanke, chief executive of Niantic, was also the man behind the launch of Google Earth in 2005. Pokémon GO marries Tajiri’s original concepts with GPS-based locations.
- The Pokémon TV series was launched in 1997 and the card game in 1999. There have been 19 feature films in the Pokemon franchise, the latest being Volcanion and the Exquisite Magearna.
- Pokémon is in its 7th Generation which will launch in November this year, and has 729 species as of now.