About 38 per cent average polling was recorded across 95 constituencies in Gujarat in the first five hours of the final phase of voting today, which will decide the fate of 820 candidates including Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Veteran BJP leader L K Advani exercised his franchise at a polling booth in Shahpur area here. Earlier in the day, Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitely and Modi had cast their vote.
"Around 37-38 per cent polling has been recorded in the first five hours of polling till 1 PM, which is exactly the same as in phase-I till this time," a state Election Commission official said.
"It could be once again a record voter turnout in Gujarat as the trends so far indicate," he said.
A record 70.75 per cent polling was recorded in phase-I of polls.
Modi, who is contesting from Maninagar Assembly constituency, is locked in a direct contest with Congress candidate Shweta Bhatt, wife of suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt.
Seeking a third term in office, Modi exercised his franchise at Nishan High School in Ranip area of the city.
Confident of returning to power, Modi today said, "I thank all the voters. In this election, people of Gujarat will make a hat-trick by giving a third term to us."
Long queues were seen since morning across 23,318 polling stations, with men, women and youths coming out in large numbers.
38% Voting in Phase ll of Gujarat Polls Till 1 PM
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise to 616; Maharashtra Remains Most Affected
- Naming Covid-19 After China Could Damage The Global Battle Against Coronavirus
- The Real Soldiers Fighting Cornoavirus Can't Even Get To Hospitals With Dignity
- 'Coronavirus Is Sneaky But India Has Done Better Than Others': Leading Public Health Expert
- Outlook Goes Digital, Temporarily Suspends Print Edition
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- 'People In White Coats Are Gods Right Now': PM Warns Against Discrimination
- OLY Postponement Was Phogat's 'Worst Fear'
- Britain's Prince Charles Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- 'It Flew Past Like Breeze': Living Two Months Under Coronavirus Lockdown In China
- Evicted By Landlord, Qatar Returnee Man Has No Place For Quarantine
- Coronavirus: E-learning In Schools Is The Only Way. But Is India Prepared?
- Journalist At Kamal Nath's Resignation Presser Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- 'Game Zero' Linked To UCL Match: Did COVID-19 Explode On Feb 19 In Europe?