The government and the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) have been asked by the Delhi High Court to respond to a plea of Pakistani singer Adnan Sami Khan seeking a direction to permit him to buy a property in the national capital.
Issuing notice to the Finance Ministry and RBI, Justice Rajiv Shakdher sought their response by February 28, 2013 on the plea of the Mumbai-based singer who sought the court's order to strike down an RBI circular that prohibits persons of certain nationalities, including Pakistanis, from buying immovable property in India without its prior permission.
In his petition, Khan claimed he is entitled to buy the property saying that he is a professional artist and has been residing in India for past 13 years.
He said that he has even sung a World Cup Cricket song for the Indian team.
In his plea, Khan said he often received offers for purchase of property but he is unable to do so due to the RBI regulation.
As per the plea, acquisition of immovable property in India by foreign nationals is regulated in terms of provisions of the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), 1999.
The Act also recognises the rights of 'person resident in India' and it is under this category that the petitioner claimed that he is eligible to purchase property.
According to Khan's plea, the RBI circular is discriminatory as even after long residence it requires a foreign citizen to seek permission from RBI.
Khan said he wanted to buy a flat in DLF Capital Greens in the city but the RBI regulation prohibits him from buying a property here.
Adnan Sami Moves HC to Buy Flat in Delhi
PTI Photo/ Vishal Kelkar
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay High Court Grants Her Bail
- KKR Vs CSK LIVE: Rahul Tripathi Hits Fifty; Kolkata 79/2 (9.2)
- Pro Pros And Cons: Publicists Face The Music As Drugs Scandal Hits Bollywood
- Aatma Nirbhar Bharat: A Salad Bowl Of Many Healthy Ideas, Some Of Them Incompatible
- The SSR Mega Serial: How TV Media Put Original Family Dramas To Shame
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- FIR Against Sachin Pilot's Media Manager For Reporting 'Phone Tapping'
- Chirag Walkout: BJP Warns Of FIR Over Use Of PM Modi's Photo
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- CBI Inquiry A Charade: Congress
- Rafa On Attack, Says It's The Only Way
- Steve Smith Fined Rs 12 Lakh