Agatha Sangma, who had campaigned for her father P A Sangma in the Presidential polls, today offered to quit as Minister of State for Rural Development.
NCP sources said that Agatha met party chief Sharad Pawar ahead of a meeting of the party leaders and expressed her readiness to quit the Government.
The talk in party circles was that Agatha could be facing trouble with the NCP leadership receiving complaints against her from party units in Chhattisgarh and Odisha that she campaigned for her father.
While NCP backed UPA nominee Pranab Mukhrjee, Sangma was the BJP-backed opposition candidate for the top post.
Reports had it that the Agatha issue was likely to come up before the NCP meeting.
Agatha is a member of the Lok Sabha from Tura, a seat represented by her father several times.
Sangma, a founder member of the NCP, resigned from the party to contest the Presidential elections. Immediately after he declared his intent to contest the election, Pawar had made it clear that there was no question of his party going against the decision of the United Progressive Alliance.
Agatha is said to have accompanied her father to Odisha to seek support for him from chief minister Naveen
Patnaik. She had also attended a function of tribal leaders in Bastar region of
A party leader, however, sought to give a different twist to Agatha's offer. He said that Agatha told Pawar that she would follow the party line after he and Praful Patel decided to pull out of the government and support it from outside in protest against the way the party was treated by Congress.
NCP sources said that Pawar will not be attending the dinner being hosted by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh tonight in honour of outgoing President Pratibha
Agatha Sangma Meets Pawar, Offers to Quit Govt
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Muzaffer Ahmad, The Budgam Doctor Who Steadfastly 'Captures' COVID-19 Victims
- Coronavirus Outbreak Live Updates: Confirmed Cases Soar To 271 In India
- Police Books Singer Kanika Kapoor, Who Tested Postive For Coronavirus
- 'You Are Not Invincible': WHO's Message To Youth Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Coronavirus: UP Govt To Give Rs 1,000 To 15 Lakh Daily Wage Labourers, 20 Lakh Construction Workers
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Janata Curfew: No Passenger Train To Run From Midnight To 10 PM On Sunday
- I Have Great Respect For China, It Is Unfortunate That Virus Got Out Of Control: Donald Trump
- Coronavirus: Maharashtra Shuts Offices Till March 31; Delhi Malls Closed
- Watch: At Traffic Signal, Policemen in Hyderabad Show How To Wash Hands
- 'Truth Has Prevailed': Jyotiraditya Scindia On Kamal Nath's Resignation
- Delhi Metro Services To Be Closed On Sunday Due To Janata Curfew
- Coronavirus: Who's Saying What Over Status Of Tokyo Olympics
- Semifinal Reserve Days To Be Introduced In ICC Men's T20 World Cup?