The BCCI today inducted former Test cricketer Mohinder Amarnath into the reconstituted Governing Council of the Indian Premier League after Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi refused to be part of the revamped Council and to work as non-paid honorary members.
Amarnath joins Ravi Shastri, a former India captain, as the second cricketer on the panel and will serve a one-year term in the Governing Council which was reconstituted by the Cricket Board last month in its 81st Annual General Meeting in Mumbai.
"Mohinder Amarnath, former India Test cricketer and winner of the Col C K Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award in 2009 for his contribution to Indian cricket, has been inducted into the IPL Governing Council. He and Ravi Shastri will be the two international cricketers in the GC. The term of the same will be one year," the BCCI said in a statement.
Pataudi is the second former India captain, after Sunil Gavaskar, to refuse a post on the IPL's governing council. Pataudi and Gavaskar served on the Twenty20 league's original council, headed by former chairman Lalit Modi, but decided not to be part of the reconstituted body after the BCCI said that council members would not be paid henceforth.
The council was reduced to a seven-member panel with a tenure of just one year instead of five in the meeting.
Gavaskar had turned down the BCCI's offer to be part of the GC, saying he felt that the IPL was a commercial establishment and those working for it should be remunerated.
Before the GC was reconstituted, the three former cricketers on the council - Gavaskar, Shastri and Pataudi - were paid Rs one crore for their services.
The BCCI, however, in its AGM decided that members would no longer receive any remuneration.
The reconstituted council has two new members in Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association president Anurag Thakur and former national selector Ranjeeb Biswal.
Amarnath Inducted into IPL GC After Pataudi's Refusal
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK LIVE: Faf, Watson Toy With Punjab; Chennai 135/0 (14)
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Bihar Elections: 47 Open Grounds, 19 Halls For Public Rallies
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Nadal Makes Light Work Of Korda In Gusty Paris