The crime branch today arrested four persons in connection with the attack at a builder's office yesterday in which a security guard got killed.
Police also said that attack took place at the behest of Anees Ibrahim, brother of fugitive gangster Dawood Ibrahim.
Police have arrested Ramdas Rahane (34), Geetaram Jadhav alias Mauli (39), Praveen Mishra (20) and Abhishek Singh (22).
Two men had entered businessman Manish Dholakiya's office in Sharda chambers in South Mumbai yesterday, but fled when alarm was raised. They shot dead the security guard Ajit Yeroolkar, who tried to chase them.
Joint Commissioner of Police Himanshu Roy today said that Rahane was the prime conspirator who had received instructions from Dawood Ibrahim's brother Anees Ibrahim, and one Salim Chiplun to eliminate Dholakiya.
"When Rahne was in jail he came across Mauli. Mauli then hired two shooters - Mishra and Singh - from Uttar Pradesh though an intermediary."
Rahane arranged accommodation for the shooters and also provided them the guns.
Roy said police were looking for two persons: the intermediary who helped to find the shooters, and another man who gave Rs five lakh to Mauli for the operation.
As to the motive for the attack, Roy said, "There was a property dispute between Dholakiya and some other persons in which Dawood gang also had interest".
Anees Ibrahim Behind Attack at Builder's Office: Police
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: G20 Countries Pledge $5 Trillion To Revive Global Economy
- 'No One Will Go Hungry': Govt Grants Rs 1.70 Lakh Cr Package To Poor Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Coronavirus: With 88 New Infections, Cases In India Rise To 694; Death Toll Reaches 16
- Kabul Gurdwara Attack: A Pakistani Attempt To Rupture Strong Indo-Afghan Ties
- Coronavirus Pandemic Raises Serious Questions About China's Conduct
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: India Extends Ban On International Flights Till April 14
- 'First Step In Right Direction': Rahul On Centre's 1.70 Lakh Cr Package
- Harassment Of Workers Threatens Production Of COVID-19 Test Kits
- Panic-Buying Can Lead To Lack Of Essential Items During Lockdown
- Coronavirus: A James Bond-Inspired Mobile App Helping TN Authorities
- Rs 50 Lakh Insurance Cover For Doctors, Healthcare Workers Fighting COVID-19
- Shikhar Dhawan Urges Indians To Donate
- How Coronavirus Has Wrecked Sports