Unidentified persons have set ablaze a temple at Maijgram in Karimganj district where Congress MLA Rumi Nath and her second husband were beaten up by people who were angry over her remarriage, police said today.
The temple was set on fire late last night and the blaze was doused this morning after villagers detected it, police said.
Superintendent of police Pradip Pujari reached the spot for enquiry.
Nath, who represents the Borkhola assembly constituency in Barak Valley, had created a furore by announcing her marriage with Jacky Jakir without divorcing her first husband.
Nath and Jakir were beaten up and injured by a mob at Karimganj town on June 29.
Meanwhile, Silchar Press Club in an emergency meeting today demanded a probe into the attack on three journalists allegedly by the supporters of the MLA and Jakir at Kalain on June 29.
Assaulted MLA Case: Temple Set Ablaze
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Delhi, UP Seal Coronavirus Hotspots; Here Are The Areas To Be Locked Up
- Coronavirus Threat & Shortage Of Migrants Pose Challenge to Farmers In Punjab, Haryana
- Coronavirus Tests Must Be Conducted Free Of Cost In Govt & Private Labs, SC Tells Centre
- At All-Party Meet, PM Modi Suggests Extending 21-Day Lockdown
- Corona In The Chambal, Corona In The Secretariat
- Chronology Is Clear: MPLADS Abolition Leaves MPs At The Mercy Of Centre
- Bollywood Needs A New Ecosystem To Bring Its Economy Back On Track After Corona
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Coronavirus Hotspots In 15 UP Districts To Be Sealed: All You Need To Know
- Bernie Sanders Drops Out Of US Presidential Race; Biden To Face Trump
- Mehbooba Mufti Determined To Oppose 'Illegal Abrogation of Art 370'
- Opinion: Animal World May Not Be Immune To Coronavirus Pandemic
- Phased Rollback Of Lockdown Most Rational Approach: Kerala CM
- Private Airlines Refused To Carry Samples Of Coronavirus To Pune For Testing
- Suspension Of Olympics Qualification Big Blow For Indian Athletes: Coach
- Fate Of I-League Hangs In Balance, Decision After COVID-19 Lockdown