Sadhana Amte, the wife of the late social worker Baba Amte, died today at Anandwan, near Warora in Chandrapur district.
She was 85.
She is survived by sons Dr Vikas, and Magsaysay Award winner Dr Prakash Amte.
Family sources said that she was not keeping well for the last one month.
Popularly known as Sadhana-`tai', she supported her husband actively when he started a rehabilitation colony for leprosy patients, `Anandwan', several decades ago.
Her mortal remains would be laid to rest tomorrow morning at Anandwan, family sources said.
Reacting to Sadhanatai's death, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar described her as a role-model for compassion.
PWD minister Chhagan Bhujbal said she was a social activist in her own right.
Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Council, Pandurang Phundkar, said Maharashtra had lost a "mother-figure". "Her life will be an inspiration to all," he said.
Leader of Opposition in Assembly, Eknath Khadse said, "We have lost a legendary social activist who dedicated her life to the service of leprosy patients."
Union Rural development Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said that Sadhanatai's death was a great loss for the field of social service. "Her life was full of challenges. She toiled hard and set an example for others with her grit and determination," he said.
Union Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said Sadhanatai will be remembered for her selfless approach to life.
BJP state president Sudhir Mungantiwar said her death was a loss for the deprived and the neglected sections of the society. "She was like a mother to all," he said.
BJP national president Nitin Gadkari too said that the poor and deprived sections of the society would feel a loss of motherly love due to her demise.
Baba Amte's Widow Passes Away
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'No One Will Go Hungry': Govt Grants Rs 1.70 Lakh Cr Package To Poor Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- In Pics | Struggle For Survival In The Time Of COVID-19 Lockdown
- Coronavirus Live Updates: No Evidence Of Community Transmission, Says Govt; Spain Toll Crosses 4,000
- Coronavirus: A James Bond-Inspired Mobile App Helping TN Authorities Keep Track Of Quarantined People
- Coronavirus Pandemic Raises Serious Questions About China's Conduct
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: India Extends Ban On International Flights Till April 14
- 'First Step In Right Direction': Rahul On Centre's 1.70 Lakh Cr Package
- Harassment Of Workers Threatens Production Of COVID-19 Test Kits
- Panic-Buying Can Lead To Lack Of Essential Items During Lockdown
- Coronavirus: Three New Fatalities In Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka
- Rs 50 Lakh Insurance Cover For Doctors, Healthcare Workers Fighting COVID-19
- COVID-19: Wimbledon Could Be Postponed Or Cancelled – Organisers
- IPL, Wimbledon And Many More - How Coronavirus Has Wrecked Sports