The 9th Third Eye Asian Film Festival will be held in Mumbai from October 29 to November 4.
The festival will showcase 80 films and 50 short films from Asian countries. Plaza in Dadar at central Mumbai, Chavan centre at Nariman Point in south Mumbai and Fame Adlabs in suburban Andheri will be the main venues for the screenings, Festival director Sudhir Nandgaonkar told PTI.
Son of Babylon, an Iraqi film which won the Best Movie Award at the Karlovyvary International Film Festival in July this year will open the festival here, he added.
He said renowned filmmaker Shyam Benegal will be felicitated this year with the Asian Film Culture award. The award honours the achievements of Asian directors, and is given each year to the master of Asian cinema.
Six films by Mrinal Sen would be screened this year under the Asian Masters section.
Nandgaonkar said during the last 20 years, Asian cinema has gained immense popularity by winning top awards at world's important film festivals.
He said to recognise the talent and films made by Asian directors, the festival has organised 'director's first or second film' competition. The director must have debuted with the film not before one year of the festival.
The competition would be adjudged by an international jury.
The festival's closing film will be Marathi film Mee Sindhutai Sapkal, based on a true story of a village woman's journey to overcome the adversities of life through her good deeds.
Benegal to Be Felicitated at 9th Asian Film Fest
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: India's 75 Districts, Including All 7 In Delhi, Locked Down Till March 31
- Millions Of Indians Clap To Thank Those Fighting At Forefront Against Coronavirus
- Mridula S. Sree, The Rookie Nurse Who Treated A Wuhan-Returned Patient In An Isolation Ward
- Air India's Corona Warriors, Who Brought Over A Thousand Home, Face Ostracisation In Housing Societies
- Coronavirus: India's Partial Lockdown Reeks Of Class, Caste Bias Leaving Socially, Sexually Disadvantaged Groups Vulnerable
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: Worldwide Deaths Cross 13,000, Italy Worst Hit; India Swings Into Action
- Modi Thanks People For Expressing Gratitude Towards Those Fighting Covid-19
- Coronavirus: Railways Suspends All Passenger Trains From March 22-31
- Private Firm Employees To Get Salaries During Delhi Lockdown: Kejriwal
- Petrol Bomb Hurled Near Shaheen Bagh Anti-CAA Protest Site
- Italy's Coronavirus Death Toll Rises By 793 In Biggest Single-Day Jump
- Delhi Cricket Association Yet To Pay Salaries To Coaches, Support Staff
- Olympics-Bound Indian Athletes Say Thanks To COVID-19 Warriors: WATCH