Former India captain and the poster boy of Indian football for the major part of the last two decades, Bhaichung Bhutia is set to announce his international retirement on Wednesday bringing to an end an illustrious 16-year career.
According to reliable sources, the 34-year-old Bhaichung, known as the 'Sikkimese Sniper' for his shooting skills, will announce his walk into international football sunset during a press conference at the AIFF Headquarters here.
Speculation has been rife on the imminent retirement of the talismanic striker, who pulled out of India Under-23 side's tour of England where they will play against Pakistan and England Under-23 next month.
He has been struggling with injury in the past one year and could only play for just 15 minutes in the Asian Cup in Qatar in January, the most prestigious event India has ever taken part in the last 27 years.
He was dropped from the Indian squad selected for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers and the preparatory matches, a move which he took into his strides but to complain for not showing the courtesy of at least informing him of that.
Bhaichung, however, is likely to continue to play for his club United Sikkim FC which he founded with an aim to make it become a top side in the country. The club failed to qualify for the I-League this season but he will be keen to take the side to the Federation Cup main round, the qualifiers of which will begin on September 8.
Bhaichung had captained India for more than 10 years and has scored 43 international goals, more than any other footballer of the country. He is also the only Indian and one among few international players to have played more then 100 matches for his country.
Under him, India won the South Asian Football Federation Championships thrice, two Nehru Cup titles (in 2007 and 2009) and the 2008 AFC Challenge Cup which gave India the right to play in the Asian Cup this year for the first time after 1984.
Bhaichung to Call Time on International Career
THE LATEST ISSUE
- India Returns Chinese Soldier Captured In Eastern Ladakh
- KXIP Vs DC: Hooda Takes Punjab Home After Pooran Fifty
- Stalin, Palaniswami Locked In A Stately Duel
- Mike Pompeo, US Defence Secretary Esper To Visit India Next Week For 2+2 Talks
- Health Minister Hails Outlook Poshan Campaign
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- KXIP Captain KL Rahul Speaks His Heart After Win Against Delhi Capitals
- Justice Dept Sues Tech Giant Google In A Landmark Antitrust Case
- Two AMU Doctors Sacked, Both Connected To Hathras Rape Case
- Bihar Elections: Will Chirag Paswan's Gamble Of Going It Alone Pay Off?
- Kamala Harris Turns 56, Biden Wishes To Celebrate Her Next B'day At WH
- Will Rahul, Priyanka Join Bypoll Campaign? Don’t Hold Your Breath
- Principle Of Self-Determination Deliberately Misused: India Slams Pak
- Messi On Target As Pique Sees Red