Danseuse-social activist Mallika Sarabhai has written a letter to the Justice Nanavati Commission which is probing the 2002 Gujarat riots, saying that it should re-examine the suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt in connection with her Supreme Court PIL.
In view of the revelations by former IPS officer R B Sreekumar, the Commission ought to question Bhatt, as he is the only person who would be able to provide information on actions of Chief Minister Narendra Modi and his government for derailing her PIL on riots, Sarabhai says.
Sreekumar, who headed of State Intelligence Bureau at the time of riots, had filed an affidavit before the Commission on state government's actions with respect to Sarabhai's PIL.
Bhatt, in May this year, had told the Commission that Modi tried to undermine the PIL proceedings.
He also told the Commission recently that he could now appear before it without any constraints. "I can now appear before the Commission... To bring out the details of roles of Mr Narendra Modi, Amit Shah as well as the advocates attached with certain law offices in Ahmedabad and Delhi to undermine the proceedings of PIL filed by Mallika Sarabhai...," Bhatt said in a letter to the Commission.
"I am not constrained by the pendency of SLP filed by Zakia Jafri (in Gulberg Society riot case) as the same has been allowed and disposed in September by Supreme Court."
Bhatt had alleged in the letter that a sum of Rs 10 lakh, drawn from the secret service fund, had been delivered to Modi as instructed by him, and was subsequently handed over (by Modi) to Amit Shah. Bhatt had told Commission earlier that this money was used for the attempt to derail the PIL.
Bhatt Be Re-Examined, Sarabhai Urges Nanavati Panel
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Live Updates: India Death Toll Reaches 6; Passenger Trains Cancelled Till March 31
- Janata Curfew Underway; Streets Empty As PM Modi Urges People To Stay Home
- 13 Soldiers Untraceable 24 Hours After Encounter With Naxals In Chhattisgarh
- From Handling Trauma Victims To COVID-19 Patients, Abdul Rehman Has Carried Them All
- Coronavirus: India's Partial Lockdown Reeks Of Class, Caste Bias Leaving Socially, Sexually Disadvantaged Groups Vulnerable
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: India's Death Toll Rises To 6 As Two Die In Bihar, Mumbai
- Coronavirus: Railways Suspends All Passenger Trains From March 22-31
- Coronavirus: Global Death Toll Crosses 13,000 As 1 Billion Confined To Homes
- Coronavirus: Health Authorities In Kashmir Demand Ventilators
- Petrol Bomb Hurled Near Shaheen Bagh Anti-CAA Protest Site
- Italy's Coronavirus Death Toll Rises By 793 In Biggest Single-Day Jump
- Baroda Women's Cricket Coach Suspended For Alleged Harassment
- Olympics: IOC Asks Member Countries About Coronavirus Impact