Criticising the way the party candidates were finalised for the BMC polls, Congress MP Priya Dutt today said that she was kept in dark about the selection process in her constituency.
"I consider it an insult as an MP because the list of candidates in my constituency was not revealed to me till the last minute and kept confidential," she told reporters.
She said she was an MP and the Mumbai Regional Congress Chief (Kripashankar Singh) was an MLA from Kalina which falls in her constituency indicating that she ought to have been consulted before finalising candidates.
Priya, daughter of late Sunil Dutt, however, refuted speculations that she was contemplating to resign as an MP.
"There is no question of resignation. But, I will continue to fight for the rights of the ordinary party worker," she added.
Over 5000 Party workers from her North Central Mumbai constituency converged at her residence in Bandra yesterday and shouted slogans against Mumbai unit chief Kripashankar Singh and Textile Minister Arif Mohammed Naseem Khan, an MLA from Kurla which falls in her Lok Sabha constituency.
Vile Parle MLA Krishna Hegde and Bandra MLA Baba Siddique were among those present along with Priya when she met party workers.
Party sources said she was miffed that she was not consulted or informed about the replacements in three wards where Congress had won in the last election.
Priya has communicated her stand to the party high command, sources said.
Meanwhile, Ajit Sawant, the MRCC general secretary who was suspended along with three-time corporator Vidyarthi Singh for alleging irregularities in ticket distribution, came out in support of Priya Dutt.
He said Sada Sarvankar, who joined Congress in 2009 after leaving Shiv Sena has been favoured and his son given ticket while in the ward no 208, the candidate was an NCP worker who joined Congress just four days ago.
BMC Poll: Priya Dutt Decries Distribution of Tickets
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Calcutta HC To Review No-Go Orders For Puja Pandals Today
- KXIP Vs DC: Hooda Takes Punjab Home After Pooran Fifty
- Will Rahul, Priyanka Join Bypoll Campaign? Don’t Hold Your Breath
- Ahead Of Polls, Bengal Braces For Bloodbath
- Health Minister Hails Outlook Poshan Campaign
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- My Heart Keeps Reaching New Limits, Confesses KL Rahul
- PM Modi's Address To The Nation: Lockdown Is Over But Virus Is Not Gone
- DDLJ Turns 25: 10 Ways In Which The Iconic Film Changed Bollywood Forever
- Bihar Elections: Will Chirag Paswan's Gamble Of Going It Alone Pay Off?
- Massive Festive Sales Brings Hope And Cheer To E-Tailers
- Parents Fume Over Govt Decision To Open Schools Partially
- 6 Arrested From Kangra, Shimla Over Bus Conductors’ Recruitment Scam
- Morata Gets Pirlo Off To Winning Start In Champions League