BJP today alleged there is an "Italian connection" in the Rs 350 crore alleged pay-off to a middleman in the Agusta Westland helicopter deal and asked the government to clarify why it had not exercised caution in the matter.
With the Bofors pay-off issue hitting the headlines again, BJP sought to connect the issue with the helicopter deal pointing out that while Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrochi had been allegedly involved in Bofors case, an Italian businessman is involved in the chopper transaction.
"There is an Italian connection in the helicopter deal. A middleman was allegedly paid Rs 350 crore in the helicopter deal with Augusta Westland Company. The Italian police are investigating the role of the consultant and middleman involved in the deal," BJP Chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
The opposition maintained when Indian laws clearly lay down that no middleman should be involved in a defence deal and doing so is a crime why this was permitted in this case.
Prasad said if the allegations are proved, the contract can be terminated.
"We would like to know what the Indian government is doing in the matter. Why was adequate caution not taken in the case?" Prasad said.
Bofors: BJP Alleges Italian Connection in Copter Deal
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise To 468; 19 States, UTs Under Lockdown
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan Sworn In As Madhya Pradesh CM
- All Domestic Flights Suspended From Wed To Contain Coronavirus Spread
- Loyalty Test: Time For Indian Businesses To Fund Fight Against Coronavirus
- Curfew Passes To Be Necessary For Travel Between Delhi, Neighbouring Areas
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Sensex Plummets 3,900 Pts, Ends Below 26,000; Nifty Inches Towards 7,500
- Vaccine Trials To Fight Coronavirus Offer Hope, Could Be Harbinger Of New Technology
- Coronavirus: Curfew Imposed In Maharashtra From Midnight, Says Uddhav
- Coronavirus: Punjab Imposes Curfew To Enforce Total Lockdown
- AIIMS To Shut Down OPD From March 24 As Coronavirus Cases Surge
- ICMR Recommends Hydroxychloroquine For Healthcare Workers Tackling Covid-19 Patients
- Coronavirus: Postponement Of Tokyo Olympics Inevitable – IOC Official
- Health Insurance Policies For Cricketers, Officials Cover COVID-19 Too: CAB