Poshan

CBI Director Mum on Headley's Revelation About Ishrat Jahan

Mumbai
CBI Director Mum on Headley's Revelation About Ishrat Jahan
outlookindia.com
1970-01-01T05:30:00+0530

CBI Director Anil Sinha today refused to be drawn into the issue of American-Pakistani terrorist David Headley's recent testimony in 26/11 case that Ishrat Jahan was an LeT terrorist, saying the matter is subjudice.

He noted that the agency has already submitted the chargesheet in the alleged fake encounter case of Ishrat Jahan.

"The matter is sub-judice. We have already submitted charge sheet in the case. Hence I would not like to comment anything on this," Sinha, who was in Mumbai for inauguration of the new CBI office in Bandra-Kurla Complex (BKC), said.

He was asked by media persons if the revelation made by Headley before a special court here last month that Ishrat Jahan was an operative of banned terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) would have any impact on the case.

Headley revealed this while deposing before a special court here, which is conducting trial against alleged LeT operative Abu Jundal in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case.

Headley told the court that LeT leader Zaki-ur-Rehman had told him about Muzammil Butt's botched up operation in India. "It was some shootout with the police. I don't know which part in India. But there was one female who was killed in the shootout," Headley said.

Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam then said, "If I give you three names will you be able to point out who was the female who was killed?". To this Headley replied yes.

Nikam then said, "Was it Noorjahan Begum, Ishrat Jahan or Mumtaz." Headley then said, "I think it is the second one." Headley had added that Ishrat was an Indian national.

Ishrat, 19, was killed along with Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai from Kerala, and two alleged Pakistanis — Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana — on June 15, 2004 on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.

The encounter team was led by D G Vanzara, who was then Deputy Commissioner of Police in Ahmedabad Crime Branch.

The CBI, which was handed over the probe later, filed a chargesheet in 2013 against seven police officers and observed that it was a fake encounter.

Currently, all the seven officers are out on bail.

Next Story : Few Instances of Acts Attracting Disciplinary Action in JNU: Govt
Download the Outlook ​Magazines App. Six magazines, wherever you go! Play Store and App Store
THE LATEST ISSUE
CLICK IMAGE FOR CONTENTS
Online Casino Betway Banner





Advertisement
Advertisement