Women should come out of their homes and aspire to hold important administrative positions, using their abilities to inspire other women, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's wife Gursharan Kaur said today.
Addressing a gathering of women panchayat leaders from across the country, Kaur said women leaders can play an "important role" in preventing violence against the fair sex.
"It is essential to have women in administrative posts like men. Men are there in important positions. We want to see women also hold these positions so that they get opportunity. Other women will get inspiration from such leaders," she said after giving away awards to three grassroot-level leaders from Bihar, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
She said women "should not stay behind in purdah and indoors, but use their ability to do something for society."
"We should speak up and if women can take a pledge to stop violence in our neighbourhoods, we can create a revolution," she said.
Kaur also said it is the duty of women to end practices such as female infanticide, dowry and sati.
Apparently referring to a landmark judgement in a Haryana honour killing case in which five persons were given death sentence for murdering a couple for marrying against societal norms, Kaur said she was happy that justice was delivered in the case.
"I am happy that sentence was delivered in the case where a boy and a girl were killed. Unless such people are punished others will not understand the results of such practices.
"We will have to keep continuing our efforts to change the mindsets, to make them understand that their old ways of thinking are not good. They have to be told nicely, politely and firmly that changes are taking place but we want more changes," she said.
Come out of Homes, Do Something for Society: Kaur Tells Women
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK: Faf, Watson Crush Punjab
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Bihar Elections: 47 Open Grounds, 19 Halls For Public Rallies
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- Man Utd 1-6 Spurs: Red Devils Suffer Joint-record Home Defeat