A day after accusing just-retired Bhaichung Bhutia of match-rigging in 2006, former coach Syed Nayeemuddin today made a U-turn and said that he had committed a mistake by making the allegations on the Indian football captain.
Hours after Bhaichung announced his international retirement here yesterday, Dronacharya awardee coach Nayeemuddin accused him of rigging India's Asian Cup qualifiers match against Yemen in 2006 to discredit him.
"It was a misunderstanding between me and Bhaichung and I had no personal enmity with him. I had committed a mistake. I am willing to speak to Bhaichung and may be say sorry to him," Nayeemuddin told PTI.
The Dronacharya awardee coach said that he had wrongly thought that Bhaichung led a plot with other players to rig the match.
"It was a mistake on my part to have thought that Bhaichung had a meeting with other players to do something against me during Asian Cup Qualifiers. I have come to know that it was a meeting to discuss formation of Football Players Association of India (of which Bhaichung is now president). I have been wrongly told by some people," said the former coach who was sacked after a string of poor performances by India in early 2006.
Bhaichung, on his part, played down the controversy, saying that he would accept Nayeemuddin's clarification and consider it a close chapter.
"I am happy that Nayeemuddin has accepted that he has done some mistake and misunderstood me. Anybody can commit mistake and have misunderstanding with somebody. So I am OK with it. I have no personal enmity with him," said the former striker who had been the poster boy of Indian football for the major part of the last two decades.
Committed Mistake by Accusing Bhutia: Nayeem's U-Turn
THE LATEST ISSUE
- India Returns Chinese Soldier Captured In Eastern Ladakh
- KXIP Vs DC: Hooda Takes Punjab Home After Pooran Fifty
- Stalin, Palaniswami Locked In A Stately Duel
- Mike Pompeo, US Defence Secretary Esper To Visit India Next Week For 2+2 Talks
- Health Minister Hails Outlook Poshan Campaign
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- KXIP Captain KL Rahul Speaks His Heart After Win Against Delhi Capitals
- Justice Dept Sues Tech Giant Google In A Landmark Antitrust Case
- Two AMU Doctors Sacked, Both Connected To Hathras Rape Case
- Bihar Elections: Will Chirag Paswan's Gamble Of Going It Alone Pay Off?
- Kamala Harris Turns 56, Biden Wishes To Celebrate Her Next B'day At WH
- Will Rahul, Priyanka Join Bypoll Campaign? Don’t Hold Your Breath
- Principle Of Self-Determination Deliberately Misused: India Slams Pak
- Messi On Target As Pique Sees Red