Hitting back at BJP for raking up the Bofors issue, Congress today threatened there could be a judicial commission into the Tehelka controversy that led to the ouster Bangaru Laxman as BJP chief after he was caught on camera taking money.
"The Commission can be constituted on everything. It could be on Tehelka and there could be Commissions and Commissions...... Because you want to entangle the whole nation in fake debates", AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi told reporters.
Singling out the Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley for the attack, Dwivedi, who is also the Congress Media Department chief, alleged the former Law Minister was acting as the prosecutor as well as the judge.
Dwivedi reminded Jaitley that the Delhi High Court judgement on the Bofors issue had come when he was the Law Minister and NDA was in power. In its judgement in February 2004, the Court had stated that not even an ounce of evidence of graft was found in the case.
Alleging political designs behind BJP raking up the Bofors issue, he accused the opposition party of levelling "baseless and irresponsible" allegations as Lok Sabha elections are approaching and it was "feeling unbearable being out of power since 2004".
"They are in a haste to come back to power. They had great difficulty in living without power for five years when UPA-1 came and now they are finding it increasingly difficult with the advent of UPA-II. They should develop the habit of accepting the decisions of people and the courts," he said.
Cong Hits Back at BJP on Bofors Issue
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Outbreak Live Updates: Death Toll In India Reaches 6; Positive Cases Climb To 341
- Janata Curfew Underway; Streets Empty As PM Modi Urges People To Stay Home
- 13 Soldiers Untraceable 24 Hours After Encounter With Naxals In Chhattisgarh
- From Handling Trauma Victims To COVID-19 Patients, Abdul Rehman Has Carried Them All
- The Viral Learning Curve: Universities And Classes In The Time Of Corona
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: India's Death Toll Rises To 5 As Man Dies In Maharashtra
- Coronavirus: Global Death Toll Crosses 13,000 As 1 Billion Confined To Homes
- Coronavirus: Health Authorities In Kashmir Demand Ventilators
- Petrol Bomb Hurled Near Shaheen Bagh Anti-CAA Protest Site
- MP: 22 Rebel Congress MLAs Join BJP; Scindia Says Everyone Will Get Tickets
- Italy's Coronavirus Death Toll Rises By 793 In Biggest Single-Day Jump
- Baroda Women's Cricket Coach Suspended For Alleged Harassment
- Olympics: IOC Asks Member Countries About Coronavirus Impact