Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh today met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and sought his intervention to enable Pakistani singer Adnan Sami to stay longer in the country.
"I met the Prime Minister on the issue. I support Adnan Sami and have requested the Prime Minister to allow him an extension for staying further in India. He is a good singer and has a lot of fan following in this country. He wants to stay in this country, He should be allowed to stay here", Digvijay Singh said.
He said the Prime Minister and the Home Minister have assured him of their support in the case of Sami.
Pakistani-origin singer Sami, was born, brought up and educated in London. Sami began taking lessons from Pandit Shivkumar Sharma while visiting India during his school vacations and Indian singing legend Asha Bhosle spotted the talent in a ten-year-old Sami at an R D Burman concert in London and encouraged him to take up music as a career.
In December 2010, the Enforcement Directorate confiscated properties of Adnan Sami for acquiring assets allegedly without the permission of Reserve Bank of India as he was a Pakistani national. The properties acquired by him were in violation of Foreign Exchange Management (acquisition and transfer of immovable property in India) Regulations, 2000, ED had charged.
Sami also fought a legal battle with his wife Sabah.
Digvijay Pleads for Adnan Sami's Extended Stay in India
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Rhea Chakraborty Urges CBI To Arrest Neighbour For False Statement
- Madhubani Diary: Dalit Artist Paints A Portrait With Words
- Hathras Case: Victim's Family Members Appear Before HC, Next Hearing on November 2
- Casteaways: Hathras Throws Up Uncomfortable Questions For BJP
- RCB Vs KKR: Kolkata Fret Over Russell Injury As Bengaluru Loom
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu Tests Negative For COVID-19
- Kejriwal Protests Farm Laws, Says BJP Has Betrayed Country’s Farmers
- NEET Results To Be Announced On Friday
- Khushbu Sundar Dropped As Congress Spokesperson, Joins BJP Formally
- Why It’s Essential To Empower Women Farmers In Agribusiness Value Chains
- Ranking Mechanism For Vocational Training Institutions
- Special Festival Advance Scheme Announced For Government Employees
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Reply On Pleas Challenging Farm Laws