A Pakistani court today directed authorities not to bar disgraced nuclear scientist A Q Khan from moving freely and meeting relatives and issued a contempt of court notice to the federal government.
Justice Ijaz Chaudhry of the Lahore High Court directed the authorities to adhere to the security protocol framed for Khan during an earlier hearing by the court.
Under this protocol, Khan is allowed to meet visitors and to travel freely after informing authorities about his movements.
The judge directed the government to file a detailed reply to its contempt of court notice by October 8.
In a letter written to Justice Chaudhry, Khan had complained that the authorities were not implementing the court's order and his movements were being restricted in the name of his security protocol.
Khan claimed the arrangements by the government violated his fundamental rights as he was barred from meeting relatives, political leaders and media representatives.
Syed Ali Zafar, the counsel for Khan, said: "The government has imposed illegal restraints on Khan's free movement and liberty under the garb of security.
"The government is relying on an illegal document to impose security on him".
Khan is required to act upon the "advice of an officer" of the government in respect of his movements and such terms violate his fundamental rights, Zafar said.
Earlier, Deputy Attorney General Naved Inayat Malik had informed the High Court that the court had directed Khan to inform law enforcement agencies about his movements but he refused to cooperate with them.
"His attitude (with them) is not good," Malik said.
After reaching an agreement with the Pakistan People's Party-led federal government early last year, Khan's house arrest was ended five years after he was detained for running a clandestine proliferation network.
Don't Restrict A Q Khan's Free Movement: Court to Govt
THE LATEST ISSUE
- LJP Leader Ram Vilas Paswan Passes Away At The Age Of 74
- SRH Vs KXIP: Warner, Bairstow Stand Powers Hyderabad To 201/6
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Development of Ladakh troubles China: Anurag Thakur
- Women's Wing Of TMC Holds Protest Rally Against Hathras Rape
- American Poet Louise Glück Wins Nobel Literature Prize
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- Violence Erupts Between WB Police & BJP Workers
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- Ozil: Decline That Turned Arsenal's Golden Boy Into An Arteta Outcast