The government and political parties should learn lessons from the Bhopal gas tragedy and make sure that such disasters does not occur anywhere in the country, Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Udyog Sangthan said today.
"It was the need of the hour to draw proper lessons from the disaster and make sure that such thing does not happen again anywhere else in the country," Sangthan convenor Abdul Jabbar told PTI.
The Sangthan convenor said that governments must also ensure that multi-nationals are not allowed to set up companies in the country where they can ignore laws and play with the lives of the people.
"It was sad that these MNCs think by paying compensation there responsibility is over and are not concerned about human lives which has to suffer for the entire life," he said.
Many of such companies play havoc with the nation's environment, he said, adding that this was something that cannot be allowed at any cost.
The people of Bhopal have been suffering since the leakage of the lethal Methyl Iso Cyanate gas from the Union Carbide plant in December 1984 and there are no signs that the suffering will end soon, Jabbar said.
The Sangthan convenor said that his organization would soon move the High Court against the judgement delivered by the
Chief Judicial magistrate on June seven.
Jabbar said it was a cruel joke played on the Bhopal gas victims that the disaster which claimed more than 15,000 lives and injured several thousand others, not even a single person had been sent to jail for even an hour.
"The people of Bhopal are sad that no one has been sent to jail in the aftermath of the disaster," he said.
The persons who were convicted on Monday last got bail in less than an hour and there was no need for them to go to jail.
Govt Should Take Lessons From Bhopal Gas Tragedy
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Battle It Out At The US Vice Presidential Debate
- ‘India’s Coronavirus Fight Is People Driven,’ Says PM Modi
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent': R. Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- China Will Pay A Big Price For Spreading Covid-19 Globally: Trump
- Wishes Pour In From PM Modi, President Kovind
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay HC Grants Her Bail
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History