Government today said it was taking up with the Italian government the issue of an Indian Sikh who was asked to take off his turban during frisking at the Milan airport.
Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed told the Lok Sabha during Zero Hour that the government was committed to "upholding the izzat (honour)" of the Sikhs.
"We will convey our sentiments to the Italian government on the issue," Ahamed said.
When the members pointed out that this was the second such incident at the Milan airport in the last one month, the minister said that the Italian government had expressed regret on the earlier occasion.
He said the Italian ambassador had been summoned on this issue.
Ahamed also informed the Lower House that all possible help would be extended to NRIs returning from trouble-torn Libya. A member demanded that such individuals be given immediate visa on arrival.
Govt Taking Up Turban Row with Italy: Ahamed
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Battle It Out At The US Vice Presidential Debate
- ‘India’s Coronavirus Fight Is People Driven,’ Says PM Modi
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent': R. Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay HC Grants Her Bail
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History