India now has more than just Vishwanathan Anand to celebrate in the world of chess. The youngest in the world to ever beat a Grand Master is a 9- year old boy from Gujarat, Hetul Shah.
It took him 44
moves with regular time control to bring down GM Nurlan Ibrayev
(Kazachtstan) in the seventh Parsvnath International Open chess
tournament held on Sunday.
One pawn sacrifice by Ibrayev, rated
almost 600 points above, is all it took for Hetul to spot the chance.
The GM then sacrificed another pawn but Hetul held on to the advantage
and forced him to give up his queen. Rated 1817, Hetul then moved his
central pawn forward and forced Ibrayev to give up.
record of being the youngest ever to beat a GM was later confirmed by
Bharat Singh Chauhan, the All India Chess Federation treasurer and
organiser confirmed from the World Chess Federation (FIDE).
Parimarjan Negi from Delhi held the record when at the age of 11 years
and 5 months, he defeated Switzerland’s Ivan Nemet in the Biel Masters
in 2004. And surprisingly enough, Negi is also Hetul's 'hero'.
Hetul Shah Makes History in Chess
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK: Faf, Watson Crush Punjab
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Bihar Elections: 47 Open Grounds, 19 Halls For Public Rallies
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- Man Utd 1-6 Spurs: Red Devils Suffer Joint-record Home Defeat