Hockey fraternity today mourned the death of legendary Leslie Claudius with players across all generations terming that the passing away of triple Olympic gold medallist marked the end of an era.
Parent body of Hockey in the country, Hockey India condoled the death of the Claudius.
"We had the good fortune of being able to honour Leslie Claudius along with the other Golden Greats before the Olympic Games earlier this year. His death leaves a void that will be hard to fill," HI President Mariamma Koshy stated.
Olympian Dhanraj Pillay described Leslie Claudius as the "God of Indian hockey" while the hockey fraternity mourned the death of three-time Olympic gold medallist.
"For me, he was the hockey God. It's difficult to imagine Indian hockey without him. He was not only a fine player but what stood him apart was his good nature," the former India captain and four-time Olympian told PTI.
"He was a very good human being and always soft-spoken, a quality through which he was always approachable. He never had any arrogance and encouraged the youngsters," the 44-year-old added.
"He's a legend as nobody could play the game like he did. I always met him whenever I came down to Kolkata. For every hockey player, he was a source of inspiration," Pillay paid glowing tributes to the man whose name is taken in the same breath as Dhyan Chand and Balbir Singh Senior.
Star of 1970's and member of the World champion team Ashok Kumar recalled,"It was only a month ago, I visited Kolkata with other former Olympians as there was a friendly against BHA. We went to see him at the hospital.
"He was full of energy. He had promised to take us to his club, Calcutta Customs, one evening. He was very hopeful of getting over the phase and he was responding well to the treatment as well."
Hockey Fraternity Mourns Leslie Claudius' Death
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Natural, Not Engineered, Says New York-based Genomics Expert
- 'Solidarity, But Impact Of Lockdown Will Amplify Covid-19 Death Toll': Rahul To PM Modi
- As All Domestic & International Flights Are Grounded, Here's What Happens To Your Air Ticket
- Coronavirus Live Updates: 7th Death Reported In Maharashtra; BSF Jawan Tests Positive In MP
- What India Has Now Is A Clone Emergency: Just Ask The Police
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- 55-yr-old Man From Kashmir Dies Due To COVID-19; UT Has 33 Cases
- Hockey Coach Reid Says Quarantine Has Been A Blessing in Disguise
- FIR Against AAP MLA For Making 'Objectionable' Remark Against UP CM
- What India Could Have Done To Better Handle The Deadly Coronavirus
- Nawanshahr, Punjab's 'NRI Belt', Has Half Of State's Total Covid-19 Cases
- Amid COVID-19 Scare, 1000s Queue At Delhi Bus Terminals To Leave
- Tokyo Olympics Organisers Consider July 2021 For Opening Ceremony
- ICC Hails Joginder Sharma For Contribution In Fight Against COVID-19