Bollywood actor Imran Khan is set to file a PIL challenging the new law in Maharashtra which prevents those below the age of 25 from drinking.
Khan is in discussions with his lawyers to file a PIL on his behalf. Born in the US, the overseas citizen of India cannot file a PIL on his own.
"I feel that as members of a democratic society it is our duty to stand out and ask whether the government is doing the right thing. Recent decision of the state government to raise the drinking age from 21 to 25 is illogical and counter productive. We all complain about things without doing anything. This is why I want to file this PIL requesting the government to review the law," the 27-year-old actor said.
The Maharashtra government has increased the legal age for alcohol purchase and drinking from 21 to 25 years.
"It is contrary to our Constitution. If you say that alcohol is free then those legally adult should have the right to choose whether they want to partake in it or not. It is not about alcohol, it is about the freedom of choice," the Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Naa star says.
Interestingly, the actor's statement comes at a time when his upcoming film Delhi Belly, pegged as a youth oriented film, is all set to hit theatres in July.
He is finding supportive voices in the industry. Bollywood mega star Amitabh Bachchan too criticised the new regulation.
"On drinking age limit increase to 25! Err... Old and mature enough to vote for the country, or join army and fight for the nation... But not old and mature enough to be told when you are allowed to drink ??? Strange?!!!! (sic)," Bachchan tweeted.
"If you can vote, get married, have children, drive a car... Why on earth can't you drink? It's ridiculous, we are not living in the dark ages," was actress Sonam Kapoor's reaction on Twitter.
Imran Khan to File PIL Against New Drinking Law
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Battle It Out At The US Vice Presidential Debate
- ‘India’s Coronavirus Fight Is People Driven,’ Says PM Modi
- KKR Vs CSK: Kolkata Choke Chennai After Rahul Tripathi's 81
- The SSR Mega Serial: How TV Media Put Original Family Dramas To Shame
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay HC Grants Her Bail
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History