India has conveyed to Pakistan its "serious concerns" over the abduction and forced conversion of Hindu girls and marriage against their will to Muslim men there, government told the Rajya Sabha today.
In reply to a question over the problems of Hindus in Pakistan, Minister for External Affairs E Ahamed said the government has come across reports on the issues faced by minority communities in Pakistan.
"Government has from time to time come across reports on the problems faced by members of the minority communities in Pakistan, including the reports on abduction of Hindu traders from Baluchistan and the televised conversion of a Hindu young man in Pakistan to Islam," he said.
He said it is the responsibility of Pakistani government to discharge its obligation towards its citizens and "incidents of persecution and intimidation of Hindus have also been reported."
Based on reports of persecution of minority groups, the government had in the past taken up the matter with Pakistan, he said.
On response from Pakistan, he said, "government of Pakistan stated that it was fully cognizant of the situation and looked after the welfare of all its citizens, particularly the minority community.
Ahamed also told the House that India's serious concerns over the "recent forced conversion and marriage of Hindu girls against their will to Muslim men in Pakistan" have been conveyed to Pakistani side.
"A demarche was made with Pakistan on May 8 in this regard. It was conveyed that it is our expectation that the government of Pakistan will look after the well being of its minority communities and discharge its responsibilities in this regard," he said.
On reply received from Pakistan over this, he said that its Supreme Court has taken up the issue and the government is seized of the matter to provide full protection to all minorities.
India Conveys Concern Over Abduction of Hindus to Pak
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'No One Will Go Hungry': Govt Grants Rs 1.70 Lakh Cr Package To Poor Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- In Pics | Struggle For Survival In The Time Of COVID-19 Lockdown
- Coronavirus Live Updates: No Evidence Of Community Transmission, Says Govt; Spain Toll Crosses 4,000
- Coronavirus: A James Bond-Inspired Mobile App Helping TN Authorities Keep Track Of Quarantined People
- Coronavirus Pandemic Raises Serious Questions About China's Conduct
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: India Extends Ban On International Flights Till April 14
- 'First Step In Right Direction': Rahul On Centre's 1.70 Lakh Cr Package
- Harassment Of Workers Threatens Production Of COVID-19 Test Kits
- Panic-Buying Can Lead To Lack Of Essential Items During Lockdown
- Coronavirus: Three New Fatalities In Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka
- Rs 50 Lakh Insurance Cover For Doctors, Healthcare Workers Fighting COVID-19
- COVID-19: Wimbledon Could Be Postponed Or Cancelled – Organisers
- IPL, Wimbledon And Many More - How Coronavirus Has Wrecked Sports