Senior players were rested as India today named a second-string squad with Suresh Raina as the captain and Virat Kohli his deputy for the low-profile Zimbabwe tour starting later this month.
Regular captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and senior players Sachin Tendulkar, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Gautam Gambhir and Ashish Nehra were rested as the BCCI senior selection committee, which met here today, named a young 15-member squad with new faces galore.
Dinesh Karthik has been named the specialist wicketkeeper for the tour which begins with a tri-series -- also involving Sri Lanka -- on May 28 while Madhya Pradesh batsman-stumper Naman Ojha is also part of the squad.
Once the tri-series is over on June 9, leg-spinner Piyush Chawla will join the squad for India's subsequent two Twenty20 Internationals against Zimbabwe on June 12 and 13.
Apart from Karthik and Naman Ojha, the side includes specialist batsmen Murali Vijay, Raina, Kohli and Rohit Sharma, besides all-rounders in Yusuf Pathan and Ravindra Jadeja.
Leg-spinner Amit Mishra, left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha and offie Ravichandran Ashwin will spearhead the slow bowling department in the tri-series, while the largely inexperienced pace attack will comprise Umesh Yadav (Vidarbha), R Vinay Kumar (Karnataka), Ashok Dinda (Bengal) and Pankaj Singh (Rajasthan).
The selectors also announced a 16-member India 'A' squad for a tri-series in England, naming Cheteshwar Pujara as its captain and Wriddhiman Saha his deputy.
Zimbabwe Tri-series squad: Suresh Raina (capt), Virat Kohli (v-c), Murali Vijay, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Umesh Yadav, Vinay Kumar, Ashok Dinda, Pankaj Singh, Amit Mishra, Pragyan Ojha, Naman Ojha.
T20 squad: Suresh Raina (capt), Virat Kohli (v-c), Murali Vijay, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Umesh Yadav, Vinay Kumar, Ashok Dinda, Pankaj Singh, Amit Mishra, Pragyan Ojha, Naman Ojha and Piyush Chawla.
India 'A' team: Cheteshwar Pujara (capt), Wriddiman Saha (v-c & wk), Abhinav Mukund, Shikar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Manish Pandey, Sourav Tiwary, Iqbal Abdulla, Sudeep Tyagi, Dhaval Kulkarni, Abhimanyu Mithun, Kedar Jadhav, Manoj Tiwary, Jaskaran Singh, Bipul Sharma and Jayadev Unadkad.
India Names Raina As Captain for Zimbabwe Tour
THE LATEST ISSUE
- LJP Leader Ram Vilas Paswan Passes Away At The Age Of 74
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Spins Hyderabad To Big Win After Warner-Bairstow Show
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Development Of Ladakh Troubles China: Anurag Thakur
- Hathras Case: Accused Claims Victim's Family Was 'Against Our Friendship'
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- UP Police Violated SC Guidelines: Kerala Journalists Union
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- Rashid Reflects On Scoreboard Pressure