Dubbing India's ambition of a permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council as a "foolish idea", former Foreign Secretary M K Rasgotra said the dream may take 20 years to fulfil.
Chairing a panel discussion on the political basis of Sino-India relations here, Rasgotra, who is a member of Congress' Foreign Affairs Department, said, "I think we have a fetish about permanent seat in the UNSC...It is a foolish idea. I don't know who has floated it."
The discussion was part of a day-long programme on China and India: 60 Years and Beyond' organised by the Congress party and Communist Party of China.
He said the fulfilment of India's quest for a permanent seat in the UNSC was 10 years, "possibly 20 years away".
The former Foreign Secretary was responding to a question on whether China supports India's bid for a permanent seat.
He said while newspapers were abuzz with speculations that US President Barack Obama will support India's bid in the UNSC, Rasgotra claimed that the dignitary will not give us a permanent seat though he "will give us a lot of words".
According to him, the seat will come to India when the world recognises India as a major power and a military power.
Congress spokesperson Manish Tiwari, who was one of the panelists, later said the views expressed by Rasgotra were personal.
"These are not the views of the Congress party...A permanent seat remains an aspiration. The UNSC should reflect the geo-political situation of the 21st century," Tiwari said.
India's Hope for UNSC Permanent Seat, A Foolish Idea
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- Lalu Prasad Yadav Granted Bail In Fodder Scam Case, But To Remain In Jail
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Khan Reflects On Damage Scoreboard Pressure Can Do
- If There’s Evidence Of TRP Manipulations, I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- Staff Crunch Halts Airing Of Modi's Mann Ki Baat In 10 Countries
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- RBI Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged At 4%, Says Governor Shaktikanta Das
- Rs 10 Crore Fine Ready, Sasikala May Walk Out Of Jail Any Time Now: Lawyer
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- How Ram Vilas Paswan's Death May Impact Bihar Assembly Elections
- 'BJP To Rule For 30-Years, If People Hang Vivekananda's Picture:' Biplab
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation
- Cricket Australia Should Not Bow Down To BCCI: Allan Border Slams CA