A recently-retired Rahul Dravid will look to take forward the legacy of the inimitable Shane Warne when he returns to the field as Rajasthan Royals captain who will take on Kings XI Punjab in their lung opener of the fifth Indian Premier League here tomorrow.
Both the teams would be eager to notch up a victory and start their campaign on a high note but the stakes are higher for the Royals who for the first time would be without their charismatic and shrewd captain-cum-coach Shane Warne.
The hosts have, however, another legend in Dravid as captain and mentor but the shorter form of the game has never been his cup of tea.
Similarity can be drawn in the fact that Warne after retirement was eager to prove himself as a skipper while Dravid, after announcing his retirement from Tests and ODI, appears to be keen to prove himself in the new challenging role.
It won't be easy for him to step in the shoes of Warne as the unorthodox, innovative and bold methods of the Australian legend had propelled Rajasthan to the title in the inaugural edition of IPL.
As far as resources are concerned, Rajasthan don't have big names, and prolific Australian all-rounder Shane Watson would be missed in the first half of the tournament.
But the hosts have a decent side with Dravid at the helm. The rest of batting comprises youngsters such Ajinkya Rahane, Ashok Menaria, Kevon Cooper and Owais Shah, who are hard hitters.
The side has been bolstered by the addition of the likes of Brad Hodge and Brad Hogg who might turn out to be the dark horses.
IPL V: Dravid Looks to Fill In Warne's Void in Rajasthan
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- Lalu Prasad Yadav Granted Bail In Fodder Scam Case, But To Remain In Jail
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Khan Reflects On Damage Scoreboard Pressure Can Do
- If There’s Evidence Of TRP Manipulations, I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- Staff Crunch Halts Airing Of Modi's Mann Ki Baat In 10 Countries
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- RBI Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged At 4%, Says Governor Shaktikanta Das
- Rs 10 Crore Fine Ready, Sasikala May Walk Out Of Jail Any Time Now: Lawyer
- Piyush Goyal Gets Additional Charge After Paswan's Death
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- How Ram Vilas Paswan's Death May Impact Bihar Assembly Elections
- 'BJP To Rule For 30-Years, If People Hang Vivekananda's Picture:' Biplab
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation
- Cricket Australia Should Not Bow Down To BCCI: Allan Border Slams CA