Ahead of the Jaipur Literary Festival, both Muslim groups and Hindu right wingers seem to have made their share of demands.
Muslim groups today warned organisers against inviting authors who hurt religious sentiments of the community, including the four who had read out passages from Salman Rushdie's banned Satanic Verses at the event last year.
"If any author, who has courted controversy by hurting the sentiments of the community, comes here to attend the Jaipur Literature Festival, we will oppose and they will have to face strong action," Mujahid Naqvi, a Muslim scholar, said today.
"One of the four authors, Jeet Thayil, who read a passage from Satanic Verses last year, is also scheduled to participate this year also and we oppose this. Four authors – Jeet Thayil, Ruchir Joshi, Hari Kunzuru and Amitava Kumar – read from the banned book which tantamount to legal action," he said.
This was decided at the 'Azeemusshan Azmat-E- Namoos-E-Rasool’ conference held here yesterday by Muslim groups of the state, and this is the feeling of the community, he said.
Another scholar, Sajid Sehrai, who organised the conference, said the organisers of the literature festival should ensure that no author or speaker, who has hurt sentiments of the community, attends the event.
Meanwhile, BJP and the RSS have opposed the participation of Pakistani authors in the festival, after the recent killing of two Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops near the Line of Control near in Poonch.
JLF Faces Threat From Muslim Groups, BJP-RSS
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK: Faf, Watson Crush Punjab
- It’s Been A Very Interesting Journey: Donald Trump on Covid-19
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader, Party Stages Protest
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Hathras Case: Editors Guild Of India Condemns UP Govt
- Man Utd 1-6 Spurs: Red Devils Suffer Joint-record Home Defeat