Toeing a line different from that of her party, Congress MP Priya Dutt today said the prime minister and judiciary must come under Lokpal Bill, which she felt was "too weak" in its present form.
"The judiciary and the prime minister should come under the purview of the Lokpal Bill...I don't think the PM has a problem with it," the MP from Mumbai North Central constituency said.
The Congress is opposed to bringing the prime minister and the higher judiciary under the Lokpal Bill.
Dutt was talking to reporters outside her home in suburban Bandra after meeting Anna Hazare's supporters.
"I am 100 per cent agreeable with you that the Lokpal Bill, which is right now in Parliament, is too weak. And, I am completely with you on that," she said.
"I think as an MP and as a citizen, I am not going to come under pressure by the government or by the people. I am an individual and I have my own opinion on the matter. Just as I respect your opinion, people should respect my opinion too."
Dutt was also critical of Team Anna's draft of the Lokpal Bill and said, "I find fault with both the Jan Lokpal Bill as well as the Lokpal Bill."
Sanjay Nirupam, MP from North Mumbai, who faced protesters in suburban Vile Parle, donning a Hazare cap, told the protesters that he supported Hazare's cause and favoured a strong Lokpal Bill.
MPs from Mumbai faced protests on the issue of the Lokpal Bill after people gathered in front of their houses here, responding to Hazare's call.
When protesters went to the house of South Mumbai MP and Union minister Milind Deora, he was not there. The protesters submitted a memorandum to his aide.
Judiciary, PM Should Come Under Lokpal: Priya Dutt
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 31 People Dead In Rain-Related Incidents In Telangana, AP, Maharashtra
- Mehbooba Mufti To Attend Meeting Of Gupkar Declaration Signatories
- India Wishes Her Beloved President Kalam On His 89th Birth Anniversary
- DC Rookie Pacer Tushar Deshpande Wins Kagiso Rabada's Praise
- The Lonely Trek To Kashmir's Peaks
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Turkey’s ‘Neo-Ottoman’ Vision For West Asia, Mediterranean
- JDS Leader HD Kumaraswmay Attacks Congress
- 'When We Return To Power, Will Put Back Sonia's Plaque At Tunnel'
- SP Leader Mulayam Singh Yadav Tests COVID Positive
- We Are Looking At Various Promotions To Attract Viewers: Sanjeev Bijli Of PVR
- Shotgun's Actor-Son Luv Sinha To Contest From Patna On Cong Ticket
- Nortje Bowls Fastest Delivery In IPL
- Misbah-ul-Haq Steps Down As Pakistan Cricket's Chief Selector, To Remain Head Coach