Justice (Retd) Rajinder Sachar today echoed anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare in demanding electoral reforms to incorporate a right to recall elected representatives and reject poll candidates.
"We need electoral reforms empowering people with the right to reject a candidate or recall an elected representative to save the country from being led by corrupt leaders," Sachar said.
Reminded that Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi had ruled out the right to recall on the ground that it was not feasible for a country like India, Sachar said, "It is very much possible to have 'Reject' in the EVM or a Ballot paper for the voters who will not like to vote for any candidate in the list.
Sachar, who prepared the report on the status of Indian Muslims, spoke on behalf of the 'Socialist Party (India)' on the occasion of its first state conference.
Though not holding any post in the party, he was described by party leaders as one of their chief patrons.
Sachar said the Socialist Party (India) would contest at least 50 seats in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections.
He claimed the party would not field any capitalist, muscleman or a candidate with criminal antecedent as candidates.
He also opposed Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati's idea of dividing the state into four parts.
Justice Sachar Demands Right to Recall, Reject
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Live Updates: 'Stay Wherever You Are,' Kejriwal Appeals To Migrants; Spain Toll Crosses 6,500
- Nawanshahr, The 'NRI Belt' Of Punjab, Has Seen Half Of State's Total Coronavirus Cases
- Corona Warriors: 'PM Modi Ignored Us,' Say Pharmacists As Gadkari Opens Old Wound
- Here's A Cure For Coronavirus, But It Has A Statutory Warning...
- Coronavirus: Seal Borders To Stop Exodus Of Migrants, Centre Tells States
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Flights Grounded, Here's What Happens To Your Air Ticket
- Coronavirus: With 6 Death In 24 Hrs, India Death Toll Reaches 25; Cases Rise To 979
- Live Abroad, But Want To Help The Poor During Lockdown? Here’s How
- Coronavirus Natural, Not Engineered, Says NY-based Genomics Expert
- 55-yr-old Man From Kashmir Dies Due To COVID-19; UT Has 33 Cases
- Hockey Coach Reid Says Quarantine Has Been A Blessing in Disguise
- Sehwag Could Bring Any Attack To Its Knees: Wright
- Tokyo Olympics Organisers Consider July 2021 For Opening Ceremony