Former Chief Justice of India J S Verma today questioned the continunance of K G Balakrishnan as NHRC Chairman when his predecessor was not appointed to that post because he faced allegations of corruption.
"See the somersault. (Y.K.) Sabharwal was not considered fit for NHRC chairmanship. Now Balakrishnan is holding the post. The nature of allegations against Sabharwal was much the same," Justice Verma said at a seminar on Judicial Conduct and Accountability Bill.
He said both of them were facing identical allegations that their kith and kin made assets during their tenure as CJI and in such cases rule of law has the answer that "if the material on record are sufficient to give rise to suspicion why can an FIR not be filed against them".
Justice Verma said the allegations of corruption against the former CJIs have brought the entire institution under suspicion.
"Unless the few persons, facing allegations, are cleared or are punished, if proved guilty, the entire community would be questioned," he said.
Justice Balakrishnan has been facing criticism over allegations that members of his family have amassed wealth disproportionate to their known sources of income while he was the CJI.
Justice Verma Attacks KG Balakrishnan
THE LATEST ISSUE
- SACHIN'S PERSONAL DIARY: Sleeping Well, Varan-Bhaat And Pink Floyd – How 'God Of Cricket' Is Combating Coronavirus
- Highrises Of Nightmares! Why Coronavirus Will Extend Slowdown Period In Real Estate Sector
- India Still In Local Transmission Stage, Says Health Ministry On Coronavirus
- 175 People From Nizamuddin Being Tested For Covid-19; Police To Register FIR Against Maulana
- Rebranding China In The Time Of Coronavirus
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Meghalaya Allows Home Delivery Of Liquor On Health Grounds
- Coronavirus: With 4 Deaths In 24 Hrs, India Toll Reaches 29; Cases Rise To 1,071
- Tokyo Olympics Rescheduled For July 23-August 8 In 2021
- Migrant Workers Sprayed With Chemicals, Bareilly DM Admits 'Mistake'
- Corona Silences Tamil Nadu’s Majestic Nadhaswarams
- Leopard Spotted In Chandigarh’s Residential Area Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Will Stray Animals Survive The Coronavirus Lockdown?
- EXCLUSIVE | Simon Taufel Hails Virender Sehwag's Temperament, Humour