Stepping up efforts to forge a "new beginning" in ties with the Islamic world, the US has said its appointment of Kashmiri-origin Indian woman, Farah Pandith, as a Special Representative to Muslims will help it engage the 1.5 billion community members across the globe.
Formally announcing Pandith's appointment, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said, "Farah brings years of experience to the job."
"I am pleased to announce the appointment of Farah Pandith to serve as Special Representative to Muslim Communities," Clinton said in a statement yesterday.
Farah will play "a leading role" in the US efforts to engage Muslims around the world, she said.
The State Department, which announced her appointment on Thursday, said Pandith and her staff will be responsible for executing the Obama Administration's efforts to reach out to the Muslim communities around the world on the people-to-people and organisational levels.
Pandith's appointment came three weeks after President Barack Obama's historic speech in the Egyptian capital Cairo to Muslims across the world.
In his June 4 speech in Cairo, Obama had said he was seeking "a new beginning" between the US and Muslims "based on mutual interest and mutual respect, and based upon the truth that America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition."
Kashmiri Woman is US Envoy to Muslims
Lalit K Jha/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK: Faf, Watson Crush Punjab
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Bihar Elections: 47 Open Grounds, 19 Halls For Public Rallies
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Nadal Makes Light Work Of Korda In Gusty Paris