Fresh from a legal victory in the four-year-long pre-marital sex case, popular South Indian actress Khushboo today took a plunge into politics by joining the DMK, with her entry seen as a prize catch for the ruling party just a year ahead of the Tamil Nadu Assembly elections.
She enrolled herself as a primary member in presence of Chief Minister and DMK patriarch M Karunanidhi at the party headquarters here, contrary to her earlier hints about preferring Congress.
"I never said I would join Congress," said Khushboo, who has a considerable fan following in the state with even a temple built for her in Perambalur district.
The 39-year-old actress was cleared by the Supreme Court last month of the 22 cases against her for her remarks on pre-martial sex in an interview to a magazine in 2005.
She said DMK alone was working for betterment of women while Karunanidhi described her as a progressive woman.
"I think I am going to work...I have already said as soon as I had won the Supreme Court verdict that I want to work for the betterment of women. That is going to be my main criteria. I have to work on that," she said.
"So far,I have been expressing my views freely and frankly. But hereafter, I have to measure my words as per the party line."
Her entry into DMK is seen by political observers as the party's answer to charismatic AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa.
Asked whether Khushboo would be fielded against Jayalalithaa in next year's assembly polls, Karunanidhi replied in the negative.
Khushboo has acted in over 100 films, pairing with superstars including Rajnikanth, Kamal Hassan and Malayalam actors Mammootty and Mohanlal and Vishnuvardhan in Kannada.
Karunanidhi said he was fascinated by her acting in Tamil film "Periyar", in which she essayed the role of Maniammai, wife of social reformer E V Ramasamy.
"She was totally dedicated to the principles of late Periyar and that was why she could play the role beautifully," he said.
He said Khushboo had been talking to DMK leaders, including himself, for the past one month on joining the party.
Asked whether Khushboo would be given an important position in the party, he evaded a direct reply, saying she would be treated like any other member of DMK women's wing.
"Myself, Anbalagan (DMK general secretary) and Stalin (deputy chief minister and Karunanidhi's son) have risen to this position through our hard work," he said.
Reminded about her earlier remarks that Congress was a party which she liked, Khushboo said as a woman coming from Mumbai she had seen the party's work there and admired it.
Khushboo Joins DMK
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK LIVE: Good Start From Chennai Openers; 41/0 (5)
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader, Party Stages Protest
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Piyush Goyal Inaugurates Kolkata's Phoolbagan Station
- Hathras Case: Editors Guild Condemns UP Govt For Obstructing Media
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Nadal Makes Light Work Of Korda In Gusty Paris