North Korea today laid to rest its late leader Kim Jong-Il in an elaborate show of communist pomp as his youthful son and successor escorted the funeral cortege through a snowbound Pyongyang.
Tens of thousands of troops bowed their heads in the snow outside the Kumsusan Memorial Palace, where the late strongman's body had lain in state in a glass coffin, as heir Kim Jong-Un led the cortege, state television showed.
A limousine bearing a huge portrait of a smiling Kim Jong-Il was at the front of the funeral convoy, which began moving slowly from the palace in Pyongyang on icy roads.
Jong-Un was dressed in black, bare-headed and gloveless despite the cold, holding to the side of his father's hearse. He was accompanied by top military and civilian officials -- including his influential uncle Jang Song-Thaek.
State television earlier broadcast undated scenes of mass grief at the memorial palace, with Kim Jong-Un consoling mourners and bowing deeply to his father's coffin. Thousands of citizens were expected to line the streets.
Amid mourning music, the TV also carried file footage on the life of the "Dear Leader", who held absolute power for 17 years in the nuclear-armed nation and presided over a famine that killed hundreds of thousands.
"The people bid farewell to father General in great sorrow," said the main headline in ruling party newspaper Rodong Sinmun.
"The most heartbreaking time has come, when we cannot but bid farewell to the great father everyone in this land had followed with their hearts and souls.
N Korea Bids Wintry Farewell to Late Leader
THE LATEST ISSUE
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact The Economy -- And You
- Coronavirus Lockdown: In Many Parts Of India, Insulin, Other Refrigerated Medicine Short In Supply
- Coronavirus Pandemic Live Updates: India Cases Climb To 873; Migrant Workers Continue Walking Back Home
- Coronavirus Lockdown: 'Money Will Last 2-3 More Days. God Knows What Will Happen After That'
- Why IND's Hockey Coach Reid Thinks COVID-19 A Blessing In Disguise
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- 'Sneeze, Spread Virus': Infosys Employee Sacked, Arrested For FB Post
- Hit By COVID-19 Lockdown, 90-yr-old Kajodi Trudges Home, 400 Km Away
- CONFIRMED! Athletes Qualified For 2020 Olympics Will Keep 2021 Spots
- 'Clear We Have Entered Recession': IMF Chief Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Stuck in Bangladesh, Kashmiri Students Seek Evacuation Amid Covid-19 Fears
- Hundreds Of Pets Abandoned After WHO Hoardings Trigger Panic
- Coronavirus: Stop Mass Exodus Of Labourers, MHA Asks States
- COV-19: Juve Star On Way To Recovery