Nepal's major political parties today staked competing claims to lead a national government as the main opposition named Sher Bahadur Deuba as its prime ministerial candidate while Maoist party endorsed Baburam Bhattarai to lead a coalition.
"Nepali Congress will field former Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba as the candidate for Prime Minister," said Bimalendra Nidhi, a member of the party's powerful central committee after an informal meeting.
Nepal's two largest parties - UCPN-Maioist and Nepali Congress -- plan to hold talks with other parties to cobble together a coalition, but have claimed the right to lead a national unity government.
Nepali Congress has underlined the need to form a government under its leadership as both the Maoist party and the CPN-UML have already led a coalition after the Constituent Assembly elections held in 2008.
"We will try to form a national consensus government under Deuba's leadership, Nidhi said, underlining that there is no alternative to the national consensus government to move forward the peace process and the constitution drafting process.
The UCPN-Maoist, the largest party in Parliament, has nominated party Vice Chairman Bhattarai as its candidate to lead a coalition.
The meeting of the party office bearers held at its headquarters in Paris Danda today decided to take initiatives to form a Maoist-led national consensus government, C P Gajurel, Secretary of the UCPN-Maoist told reporters.
However, senior Nepali Congress leader Arjun Narsingh Khatri Chhetri underlined that the Maoists cannot be entrusted with the leadership of a coalition as the task of rehabilitation and integration of the former Maoist combatants with the security forces are yet to be completed.
Nepalese Parties Stake Claim to PM's Post
Shirish B Pradhan/Kathmandu
THE LATEST ISSUE
- SACHIN'S PERSONAL DIARY: Sleeping Well, Varan-Bhaat And Pink Floyd – How 'God Of Cricket' Is Combating Coronavirus
- Highrises Of Nightmares! Why Coronavirus Will Extend Slowdown Period In Real Estate Sector
- India Still In Local Transmission Stage, Says Health Ministry On Coronavirus
- 175 People From Nizamuddin Being Tested For Covid-19; Police To Register FIR Against Maulana
- Rebranding China In The Time Of Coronavirus
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Meghalaya Allows Home Delivery Of Liquor On Health Grounds
- Coronavirus: With 4 Deaths In 24 Hrs, India Toll Reaches 29; Cases Rise To 1,071
- Tokyo Olympics Rescheduled For July 23-August 8 In 2021
- Migrant Workers Sprayed With Chemicals, Bareilly DM Admits 'Mistake'
- Corona Silences Tamil Nadu’s Majestic Nadhaswarams
- Leopard Spotted In Chandigarh’s Residential Area Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Will Stray Animals Survive The Coronavirus Lockdown?
- EXCLUSIVE | Simon Taufel Hails Virender Sehwag's Temperament, Humour