A day after he shared the stage with Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi at a poll rally, cricketer Irfan Pathan today said nothing much should be read into it as he was an "apolitical" person and concentrating on his game.
"Neither do I have any connection to politics nor am I interested in it. I am a cricketer and currently recovering from an injury that I had suffered while playing for the home team of Baroda in Ranji Trophy tie," he told PTI.
Eyebrows were raised after the 28-year-old all-rounder shared the dais with Modi in the BJP campaign rally at Kheda for the second phase polling due on December 17.
Polling for 87 Assembly seats was held in the first phase today.
BJP has been trying to woo minority community voters in the state though it has not fielded any Muslim candidate in the elections.
During the rally, Irfan was seen standing alongside the BJP stalwart on the huge stage.
Irfan, who belongs to Vadodara and has been forced out of cricketing action by an injury, waved his hands to a huge gathering of supporters, who had come to listen Modi's speech.
In September 2011, Modi had launched 'Sadbhavana Mission' for 'peace and amity' and to appease minority community voters.
Not Interested in Politics But Cricket: Irfan Pathan
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: With Almost 1,000 Deaths, Italy Records Most Fatalities In A Day; Global Toll Crosses 25,000
- Hit By Coronavirus Lockdown, 90-Year-old Kajodi Trudges Home, 400 Km Away
- How State Governments Are Managing The Coronavirus Pandemic Amid 21-day Lockdown
- Indian Shot Putter Navin Chikara Fails Dope Test, Gets Four-Year Ban
- Why IND's Hockey Coach Reid Thinks COVID-19 A Blessing In Disguise
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Amid Lockdown, Many Countries Face Challenges To Repatriate Citizens
- UK PM Boris Johnson, Health Secretary Test Positive For Coronavirus
- 'Clear We Have Entered Recession': IMF Chief Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Stuck in Bangladesh, Kashmiri Students Seek Evacuation Amid Covid-19 Fears
- Hundreds Of Pets Abandoned After WHO Hoardings Trigger Panic
- Coronavirus: Stop Mass Exodus Of Labourers, MHA Asks States
- All Domestic Flights Suspended Till April 14, Says DGCA
- Tendulkar Donates 50 Lakh To Fight COVID-19