Nancy J Powell, a career diplomat, who has earlier held diplomatic positions in India and also served as the American envoy to Pakistan, has been named the next US Ambassador to New Delhi.
64-year-old Powell, nominated by President Barack Obama for the coveted post, would be the first woman US Ambassador to India and replace Timothy J Roemer, who resigned from his post in April 2011 following a two-year stint, if her appointment is confirmed by the Senate.
Peter Burleigh is currently serving as the Charge d'affaires of the US embassy in India.
Powell, a career member of the Senior Foreign Service, earlier served as US Ambassador to Pakistan and Nepal and also held various diplomatic posts in Kolkata, New Delhi, Dhaka, Kathmandu, Islamabad and Ottawa.
She was US Ambassador to Pakistan from August 2002 to October 2004. She was appointed to the top diplomatic post in Pakistan when the US was first seeking Islamabad's cooperation in fighting al-Qaeda and the Taliban after the September 11, 2001, attacks.
"These fine public servants both bring a depth of experience and tremendous dedication to their new roles," Obama said in a statement announcing Powell's appointment and that of Dick Berner, who has been named Director, Office of Financial Research, Department of Treasury.
"Our nation will be well-served by these individuals, and I look forward to working with them in the months and years to come," he said.
Presently serving as Director General of the Foreign Service and Director of Human Resources at the Department of State, Powell was conferred the personal rank of Career Ambassador in January 2011.
Obama Names Nancy Powell As Ambassador to India
Lalit K Jha/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Indra Gupta, The Sarkari Doctor Aspiring To Keep Jaipur In The Pink Of Health
- Stay Wherever You Are To Stop Coronavirus From Spreading: PM's Message To Country
- 'Don't Panic,' Sonia Gandhi Tells People, Suggests PM Annouce Sector-Wise Relief Package
- The Viral Learning Curve: Universities And Classes In The Time Of Corona
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise To 283; Amid Fear, Country To Observe 'Janata Curfew' Tomorrow
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Vasundhara Raje, Who Attended Party With Kanika Kapoor, Tests Negative For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: UP Govt To Give Rs 1,000 To Daily Wage Labourers, Construction Workers
- MP: 22 Rebel Congress MLAs Join BJP; Scindia Says Everyone Will Get Tickets
- Clapping Won't Help, Country Needs Economic Package: Rahul's Jibe At PM Modi
- Some To Protest From Balconies Against NRC, CAA During Janta Curfew
- Coronavirus: SC Lawyer Bodies Appeal To CJI To Declare Holidays For 2-4 Weeks
- Mary Kom Breaks Quarantine Protocol Amid Coronavirus Scare
- Coronavirus Grows, As Do Questions: Will The Tokyo Olympics Open?