Israel has threatened "the severest riposte" after a grad rocket fired by Gaza-based militants hit a residential neighbourhood in Jewish nation's southern city of Ashkelon.
The warning by the Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert came as Hamas militants today fired a long-range Grad rocket into Israel, targeting for the first time after ceasefire the city of Ashkelon, as leaders of the Palestinian group met in the Egyptian city of Cairo to work out a long-term truce.
"Any provocation, even the slightest, will trigger the severest riposte until this fire comes to a complete end," Olmert told mediapersons.
Olmert's warning was echoed by Defence Minister Ehud Barak, who said: "Let nobody be mistaken, there will be a response to these firings".
Mark Regev, Israel government spokesman warned that the Islamist Hamas was "playing with fire".
"Hamas is playing with fire, and if there is going to be an escalation now, Hamas has no one to blame but itself," Israel government spokesman, Regev said, adding "Hamas has acted to deliberately undermine the calm."
Three people were treated for shock, several cars were damaged and windowpanes of buildings smashed.
Buoyed by favourable opinion polls, which shows a rightward shift among Israeli public, Likud Party chairman Benjamin Netanyahu, vowed to "topple the Hamas regime" in Gaza if elected the next premier.
"When we said a few years ago that missiles will fly in the direction of Ashkelon, Tzipi Livni and Kadima mocked us," Netanyahu said.
"In recent years, Kadima's policy of blindness has brought us to where we are today. Ashkelon residents cannot trust Kadima. We need a change in policy," he said during a campaign tour of the city.
The former premier and opposition leader noted that the way to confront the rocket threat is solely through military means.
"We need to topple the Hamas regime in Gaza," Netanyahu said asserting, "The Likud led by me will act to bring down Hamas and remove the threat of missiles against the south."
It was the first rocket attack on the city since Israel unilaterally called for a ceasefire ending a 22 days offensive in Gaza last month.
The Hamas attack damaged several cars and shattered windowpanes of several houses and prompted the deputy Prime Minister Ellie Yishai and other top Israeli leaders to vow a strong retaliation as the country up for a general election.
Vowing for a strong response, deputy Prime Minister Ellie Yishai said, "It appears the defence establishment's messages were not properly understood in Gaza. If there's no calm in Ashkelon, it will be rocky in Gaza."
Israel and Hamas had declared unilateral ceasefire separately on January 18 following the 22-day offensive in the Gaza Strip, that had resulted in more than 1,300 deaths on the Palestinian side.
Hamas, meanwhile, said it was in favour of a one-year truce if Israel agrees to open border crossings that Tel Aviv has kept sealed.
Olmert Threatens 'Severest Riposte' on Hamas
Harinder Mishra , Jerusalem
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: G20 Countries Pledge $5 Trillion To Revive Global Economy
- 'No One Will Go Hungry': Govt Grants Rs 1.70 Lakh Cr Package To Poor Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Coronavirus: With 88 New Infections, Cases In India Rise To 694; Death Toll Reaches 16
- Kabul Gurdwara Attack: A Pakistani Attempt To Rupture Strong Indo-Afghan Ties
- Coronavirus Pandemic Raises Serious Questions About China's Conduct
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: India Extends Ban On International Flights Till April 14
- 'First Step In Right Direction': Rahul On Centre's 1.70 Lakh Cr Package
- Harassment Of Workers Threatens Production Of COVID-19 Test Kits
- Panic-Buying Can Lead To Lack Of Essential Items During Lockdown
- Coronavirus: A James Bond-Inspired Mobile App Helping TN Authorities
- Rs 50 Lakh Insurance Cover For Doctors, Healthcare Workers Fighting COVID-19
- Shikhar Dhawan Urges Indians To Donate
- How Coronavirus Has Wrecked Sports