After playing his last match in national colours, former football captain Bhaichung Bhutia today hoped that the young Indian players would be inspired by the international stars who played in his farewell exhibition match here today.
German giants Bayern Munich thrashed India, led by Bhaichung one last time, 4-0 with all the goals coming in the first half.
Bhutia praised his team-mates for the fighting spirit they showed against a far superior opponent.
"In the first half, I think the boys were carried away by the big names in the Bayern team but they played excellent in the second half. It's not the right time to play against Bayern as they are in the best of form.
"We know the difference in standard. But I thought our players showed the fighting spirit and the enthusiasm and did not let any goal in the second half," Bhaichung told reporters at the post-match press conference.
The Sikkimese Sniper, who retired last year from international football after playing for 16 years in more than 100 matches for the country, praised his all teammates and coaches for the contribution they made in his career.
He also acknowledged the effort put in by the AIFF and Bayern Munich for arranging his farewell match.
"I thanked my former and current team-mates and the coaches I have played under. They have contributed to my game in the 16 years of my career. I also thank Audi, the AIFF and the Bayern for arranging my farewell match. I am honoured to have played my farewell match against Bayern and I thoroughly enjoyed playing in today's match," he said.
Our Players Showed Fighting Spirit, Enthusiasm: Bhutia
THE LATEST ISSUE
- She, The Dalit: Red Earth And The Sky A Dalit Blue
- MI Vs DC: Mumbai Go Top With 5-wicket Win Over Delhi
- 100% Cut Off In DU Admission Reflects Absurdity In Board Marks
- Will Go After Media, Fans Spreading Rumours, Says Rhea's Lawyer
- The Curious Case Of True Indology And Other Tweets
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- French Open Final: Nadal Thrashes Djokovic, Ties Federer's Slam Record
- Hathras Case: Victim's Family Members To Appear Before HC Today
- IPL 2020: Parag, Tewatia Star In RR's Thrilling Win Over SRH
- Rajasthan Priest Case: Crime Branch Takes Over Investigation
- Lebanon Orders Lockdown For 169 Towns, Villages
- In A First, Eight Indian Beaches Get Blue Flag Status
- 32-Year-Old Man Held For Flashing At Minor Girl In Delhi
- Bihar Elections 2020: BJP Releases List Of 46 Candidates For Phase 2