Noted Indian-American writer and journalist Fareed Zakaria, who was briefly suspended by Time magazine and CNN after he was accused of plagiarism, described the episode as "tough" and "clarifying" and said he now realises the focus of what he wants to do ahead.
48-year-old Zakaria's suspension was revoked by Time and CNN last week, days after he had issued an apology for lifting a passage for an article he wrote on gun control for
Time from an essay by Harvard University professor of American history Jill Lepore in the
New Yorker magazine.
"This has been a tough week, but it has also been clarifying," Zakaria said in a
New York Times article.
"You find out what matters to you in life, who your friends are".
Zakaria said he was apologetic for his "a terrible mistake...This week has been very important because it has made me realize what is at the core of what I want to do."
The Harvard and Yale graduate said he wanted to "help people to think about this fast-moving world and do this through my work on TV and writing".
He said the mistake occurred when he confused the notes he had taken about Lepore's article with those taken from 'Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America,' by Adam Winkler, a copy of which was on his desk at his
Past Week 'Tough' and 'Clarifying': Fareed Zakaria
Yoshita Singh/New York
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: G20 Countries Pledge $5 Trillion To Revive Global Economy
- 'No One Will Go Hungry': Govt Grants Rs 1.70 Lakh Cr Package To Poor Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Coronavirus: With 88 New Infections, Cases In India Rise To 694; Death Toll Reaches 16
- Kabul Gurdwara Attack: A Pakistani Attempt To Rupture Strong Indo-Afghan Ties
- Coronavirus Pandemic Raises Serious Questions About China's Conduct
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: India Extends Ban On International Flights Till April 14
- 'First Step In Right Direction': Rahul On Centre's 1.70 Lakh Cr Package
- Harassment Of Workers Threatens Production Of COVID-19 Test Kits
- Panic-Buying Can Lead To Lack Of Essential Items During Lockdown
- Coronavirus: A James Bond-Inspired Mobile App Helping TN Authorities
- Rs 50 Lakh Insurance Cover For Doctors, Healthcare Workers Fighting COVID-19
- Shikhar Dhawan Urges Indians To Donate
- How Coronavirus Has Wrecked Sports