In a sordid tale of political intrigue, secret documents reveal that a group close to former chancellor Gordon Brown plotted to oust Tony Blair as the prime minister in 2005 at a time when the government was grappling with the London tube blasts.
The rivalry between Blair and Brown was an open secret, but this is the first time the intensity of their tussle for power has emerged on record.
The revelations are particularly damaging because the intrigues continued even as efforts were on to deal with the London blasts.
The Daily Telegraph obtained more than 30 memos belonging to Ed Balls, who was the Education secretary then and one of Brown's closest advisers.
It ran the story under the headline 'Revealed: Ed Balls and the 'brutal' plot to topple Blair'.
Blair stepped down as prime minister and Brown took over in June 2007.
Publishing the secret memos today, the newspaper also names current Labour leader Ed Miliband and shadow foreign secretary Douglas Alexander as being involved in 'Project Volvo', which was supposedly an attempt by his allies to re brand Brown in his bid to take over as the prime minister.
The documents reportedly disappeared from Ball’s Department for Education during the 2010 general election.
The Cabinet Office is looking into whether there were any "breaches of document security within government".
Plot to Oust Blair as PM During London Blasts: Reports
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hundreds Of Pets Abandoned In Mumbai After WHO Hoardings On COVID-19 Trigger Panic
- Hit By Coronavirus Lockdown, 90-Year-Old Kajodi Trudges Home, 400 Km Away
- Coronavirus Live Updates: 3 More Test Positive In Noida; Yogi Announces Relief Measures For Farmers
- RBI Reduces Key Repo Rate By 75 Basis Points To 4.4% Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- 'No One To Sleep Hungry': Kejriwal Announces Meals For 4 Lakh People Amid Lockdown
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: Stop Mass Exodus Of Labourers, MHA Asks States
- The Delhi Cop Who Looks After 350 Poor Families Amid Covid-19 Lockdown
- 'RBI Took Giant Steps To Save Economy From Coronavirus Impact': PM Modi
- Coronavirus Lockdown: Prasar Bharati To Re-run 'Ramayan' From Mar 28
- Coronavirus: Athletes Qualified For 2020 Olympics Will Keep 2021 Spots – REPORT
- Kabul Gurdwara Attack Pak Attempt To Rupture Strong Indo-Afghan Ties
- Moody's Slashes India's GDP Growth In 2020 To 2.5% Due To Coronavirus Impact
- Tendulkar Donates 50 Lakh To Fight COVID-19