The Assam Assembly Speaker today asked the police to investigate a complaint by a Congress legislator that party MLA Rumi Nath and her second husband illegally entered his residence and assaulted visitors on the suspicion that they were involved in the attack on them last week.
"Kamalakhya Purkayastha, Congress MLA, has submitted an application to Speaker Pranab Gogoi who in turn has issued a letter to the Dispur police station to investigate into the issue," Assembly Secretary G P Das said here.
The police said the FIR was filed after Purkayastha faxed the complaint to the Dispur police station during the day.
Purkayastha alleged that Nath, her second husband Jacky Jakir and two security guards forcibly entered his official residence at the Dispur capital complex late last night and beat up and injured four visitors and a caretaker in his absence.
They suspected that those involved in the attack on Nath in Karimganj on June 29 were sheltering there, Purkayastha alleged.
Meanwhile Congress legislators, requesting anonymity, condemned the attack saying it had brought the party into disrepute.
"This is unbecoming of a representative of the people and action should be taken," a senior party MLA said.
Police Asked to Investigate FIR Against MLA Rumi Nath
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Delhi, UP Seal Coronavirus Hotspots; Here Are The Areas To Be Locked Up
- Coronavirus Threat & Shortage Of Migrants Pose Challenge to Farmers In Punjab, Haryana
- Coronavirus Tests Must Be Conducted Free Of Cost In Govt & Private Labs, SC Tells Centre
- At All-Party Meet, PM Modi Suggests Extending 21-Day Lockdown
- Corona In The Chambal, Corona In The Secretariat
- Chronology Is Clear: MPLADS Abolition Leaves MPs At The Mercy Of Centre
- Bollywood Needs A New Ecosystem To Bring Its Economy Back On Track After Corona
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Coronavirus Hotspots In 15 UP Districts To Be Sealed: All You Need To Know
- Bernie Sanders Drops Out Of US Presidential Race; Biden To Face Trump
- Mehbooba Mufti Determined To Oppose 'Illegal Abrogation of Art 370'
- Opinion: Animal World May Not Be Immune To Coronavirus Pandemic
- Phased Rollback Of Lockdown Most Rational Approach: Kerala CM
- Private Airlines Refused To Carry Samples Of Coronavirus To Pune For Testing
- Suspension Of Olympics Qualification Big Blow For Indian Athletes: Coach
- Fate Of I-League Hangs In Balance, Decision After COVID-19 Lockdown