The ruling PPP today dismissed disgraced scientist A Q Khan's claim that slain former premier Benazir Bhutto had ordered him to transfer atomic technology to two countries, describing it as a desperate attempt to "wash the guilt of proliferating nuclear weapons".
Pakistan People's Party spokesman Farhatullah Babar, a close aide to Bhutto, rebutted Khan's claim made in an interview with the Jang media group.
Khan did not name the two countries to which nuclear technology was transferred.
"The assertion of A Q Khan is a belated and desperate attempt to wash the guilt of proliferating nuclear weapons by associating the name of Benazir Bhutto to lend a semblance of respectability to a crime that brought huge embarrassment and inflicted incalculable damage on Pakistan," Babar said in a statement.
Public memory was "not so short as to forget the public apology tendered by A Q Khan on national television in February 2004", when he acknowledged his role in nuclear proliferation and admitted his guilt, he said.
Babar recalled that Khan had expressed "the deepest sense of sorrow, anguish and regret" over what he had done and also admitted that an investigation had established his activities in proliferation.
"It is disgusting that almost a decade later, Khan should be seeking to restore his image by seeking to lay the blame at the door of (Benazir Bhutto) when the latter is no longer alive," he said.
Khan "would do well to re-read his February 2004 public statement on national television and remember that the words and sentences he uttered on that fateful day can never be recalled", Babar said.
Khan now owed another public apology to the "soul of Benazir Bhutto and to her innumerable followers" for making baseless and unfounded allegations against her, he added.
In the interview, Khan claimed he had no option but to obey Bhutto, who was killed by a suicide attacker in late 2007.
PPP Rebuts A.Q. Khan's Claims on Transferring N-Tech
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- All Domestic Flights Suspended From Wednesday To Contain Coronavirus Spread
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Global Death Toll Crosses 15,000; Spain Reports 462 New Deaths in A Day
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan Likely To Take Oath As Madhya Pradesh CM Today
- Loyalty Test: Time For Indian Businesses To Fund Fight Against Coronavirus
- Sensex Plummets 3,900 Pts, Ends Below 26,000; Nifty Inches Towards 7,500
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- SC To Hear Urgent Matters Over Video-Conference
- Vaccine Trials To Fight Coronavirus Offer Hope, Could Be Harbinger Of New Technology
- Punjab Imposes Curfew To Enforce Total Lockdown As People Continue To Step Outside
- AIIMS To Shut Down OPD From March 24 As Coronavirus Cases Surge
- Centre Asks States To Strictly Enforce Lockdown To Prevent COVID-19 Spread
- Fact Check: NASA Didn't Show COVID-19 Retreat In India Due To Clapping
- Coronavirus: Australia Pull Out Of 2020 Olympics
- COVID-19: Premier League, NBA, F1 – When Is Sport Aiming To Return?