The Planning Commission today said that the Reserve Bank of India has some headroom for rate hike of around 50 basis points.
"There is some headroom left for rate hike by RBI of about 50 basis points, if we consider the interest rates of pre-crisis period," Principal Advisor to the Planning Commission Pronab Sen said on the sidelines of Intaglio, 2011 organised by students of Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta.
There has been six rate hikes in calendar year 2010, but even then the rates are yet to reach to the levels before the global meltdown, he said.
Asked whether the interest rate was high during the boom period prior to the meltdown, Sen said the economy grew by 9 per cent at the then prevailing interest rates.
Speaking on inflationary pressure, primarily on food articles, Sen said there are no short-term measures to the problem as there are not enough tools with the government to tackle them.
"Monetary policy measures can be used to tame inflation but at the very high price of sacrificing growth," he said.
Sen said the Planning Commission is debating on reaching enough credit to 18 million micro enterprises to boost employment as the current policy is not helping them.
He also claimed that leakages from public distribution system have increased with the introduction of BPL category.
RBI Has Headroom for Rate Hike: Pronab Sen
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Plight Of The Nowhere People And Why Bihar Faces Social, Economic Doom
- Coronavirus: With 354 New Infections, Cases In India Rise To 4,421; Death Toll Reaches 137
- Coronavirus Pandemic: Where The World Went Wrong And What's The Way Forward
- For Allowing Export Of Hydroxychloroquine, India Deserves Applause, Not Criticism
- A Wine-drinking Ex-Muslim's Defence Of The Tablighi Jamaat
- Bollywood Needs A New Ecosystem To Bring Its Economy Back On Track After Corona
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Domestic Violence Cases Across India Swell Since Coronavirus Lockdown
- Centre Considering States' Request To Extend Lockdown: Govt Sources
- What Is Hydroxychloroquine, The Drug Touted As Cure To Coronavirus
- Sonia Gandhi Suggests PM Modi 5 Ways To Curb Expenses, Fight COVID-19
- Is It A Cold? Is It The Flu? Or Is It...
- With Country Under Lockdown Coronavirus, Couple Gets Married Over Video Call
- Alarming: Leagues, Clubs 'Could Fold' As English Football Faces Deepest Crisis
- Not Many Role Models In Current Indian Cricket Team: Yuvraj Singh