Two suspected members of a notorious robbers' gang, which was involved in an encounter with the police in the Capital recently, have been remanded to 14 days' judicial custody by a Delhi court.
Harpal Singh and Nadir Shah, who had escaped from the encounter scene in Green Park Extension and appeared in a TV channel's studio before being arrested on January 19, were produced before Metropolitan Magistrate Ravinder Singh who sent them to judicial custody.
The court rejected the police plea to grant them their custody for three more days.
The police sought custodial interrogation of the accused on the ground that they were to be further interrogated as they were allegedly involved in a number of robberies.
The counsel for the accused however opposed the plea contending the duo had already been in police custody for two days and the probe agency had enough time to interrogate them.
During the proceedings, the police also told the court they had already recovered the weapons of offence allegedly at the instance of the accused.
Following a day-light gun battle, the police had on January 19 apprehended four gang members including their leader Satya Prakash alias Satte who received bullet injuries. The police also recovered loaded pistols as well as two cars after the encounter.
According to the police, the two accused had fled away during the encounter and taken shelter at a news channel's studio in Noida as they feared that they might be killed. They felt a lenient view would be taken against them if they appeared on camera, the police said.
All the accused had allegedly planned to commit a robbery at a South Delhi bank.
S. Delhi Encounter: 2 Gangsters in to Judicial Custody
THE LATEST ISSUE
- COVID-19 Live Updates: India Records 227 New Cases In 24 Hours; Italy Registers 812 New Deaths
- Six Who Attended Religious Gathering In Delhi Die Due To Coronavirus In Telengana
- SACHIN'S DIARY: Sleeping Well, Varan-Bhaat And Pink Floyd – How 'God Of Cricket' Is Combating Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Outbreak Could Throw Millions Of Asians Into Poverty, Says World Bank
- 'My Mother Is Dead. I Am Stuck In Coronavirus Lockdown': Bihar Labourer Cries For Help In Delhi
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Rebranding China In The Time Of Coronavirus
- Meghalaya Allows Home Delivery Of Liquor On Health Grounds
- 175 From Delhi's Nizamuddin Being Tested For Coronvirus
- IPL Team Owners Have Discussed Staging Games Behind Closed Doors
- Migrant Workers Sprayed With Chemicals, Bareilly DM Admits 'Mistake'
- Corona Silences Tamil Nadu’s Majestic Nadhaswarams
- Will Stray Animals Survive The Coronavirus Lockdown?
- EXCLUSIVE | Simon Taufel Hails Virender Sehwag's Temperament, Humour