Former CJI Y K Sabharwal was not considered for the post of National Human Rights Commission chief because of "adverse media and other reports" about him, the Home Ministry has said.
Former Chief Justices R C Lahoti and Y K Sabharwal were both eligible for the post of NHRC chairperson according to provisions of the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993.
But Justice Lahoti declined the offer citing other engagements whereas Justice Sabharwal was not considered for the "highly sensitive post" because of adverse reports, the ministry said.
In reply to an RTI application by Subhash Chandra Agrawal, the human rights division of the ministry said, "Because of adverse media and other reports with regard to Mr Justice Y K Sabharwal, it was felt that highly sensitive post of chairperson of NHRC may not be offered to him.
"Accordingly, it was recorded on our files that Mr Justice R C Lahoti and and Mr Justice Y K Sabharwal 'are not inclined/not available for different reasons."
The ministry said the offer to Justice Lahoti was made "orally" and there was no correspondence recorded between the Union government and Justice Lahoti, adding the conversation had been conveyed to the Home Minister through the Home Secretary.
The post of NHRC chairperson is lying vacant since June 1, 2009 after former Chief Justice S Rajendra Babu retired from the post on May 31.
The government has authorised Justice G P Mathur, a retired Supreme Court judge and a member of the commission, to act as its chairperson until a new appointment is made, the ministry had said in a separate reply.
As per the provisions of Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993, only a retired CJI till age of 70 years is eligible for the post which makes only Justice R C Lahoti and Y K Sabharwal eligible for the important assignment.
Sabharwal had retired from Supreme Court on January l4, 2007.
The apex court had last month expressed annoyance with the Centre's submission that retired chief justices were not available for appointment as NHRC chairperson.
The government had in a brief affidavit earlier submitted that required incumbents "were not available" to take the post and the government was taking necessary steps to do that.
Sabharwal Not to Head NHRC Due to Adverse Reports
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise to 616; Maharashtra Remains Most Affected
- Naming Covid-19 After China Could Damage The Global Battle Against Coronavirus
- The Real Soldiers Fighting Cornoavirus Can't Even Get To Hospitals With Dignity
- 'Coronavirus Is Sneaky But India Has Done Better Than Others': Leading Public Health Expert
- Outlook Goes Digital, Temporarily Suspends Print Edition
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- 'People In White Coats Are Gods Right Now': PM Warns Against Discrimination
- OLY Postponement Was Phogat's 'Worst Fear'
- Britain's Prince Charles Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- 'It Flew Past Like Breeze': Living Two Months Under Coronavirus Lockdown In China
- Evicted By Landlord, Qatar Returnee Man Has No Place For Quarantine
- Coronavirus: E-learning In Schools Is The Only Way. But Is India Prepared?
- Journalist At Kamal Nath's Resignation Presser Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- Women's U-17 World Cup: FIFA Monitoring COVID-19 Threat